Where to hook the tow strap???

So, as I'm packing my toolkit (including tow strap), I start looking at the back end of my '04 four-fidy, thinking "If I ever need to use this thing (strap, that is), where the *@&%! would I tie it off in order to tow someone without it getting tangled up in the chain or rear wheel?" ? I figure I'd better have this worked out before I go on a long ride (my riding buddy has a Honda ? ).

What have you guys done when you needed to tow someone, or be towed (presumably 'cause you ran out of gas--we all know Yamerhammers don't break down, right? ? )

I tied the strap to a stick and then put the stick on top of my thighs with the strap going back under my butt. A little uncomfortable, but it kept everything up and out of the way.

Ooooouch. . .strap wedgie!!! ?

• 2 months later...
Hook the strap to the footpegs, the towing bikes brake side with the towed bikes shift side. The rear towed bike can slow both down, very easy to do.

Desracer, thanks for the tip. This weekend (two and a half months after I originally posted this question), I had to use my tow strap--first time in 20 years of riding. My buddy put a stick through the radiator on his CR. He was afraid of riding it back to the truck and overheating it. So, we tried the footpeg to footpeg trick. We towed back on a logging road, and then he coasted down the downhill sections and we got him back ok. Worked like a charm. ?

Hook the strap to the footpegs, the towing bikes brake side with the towed bikes shift side. The rear towed bike can slow both down, very easy to do.

that works well on a logging road or in the open. in the trials its not so easy ? .

i tie it around my waist {im a skinny white kid} and the person getting towed rides one handed, holding a loop. that way he/she can let got at any time.

Yeah, that's the trick. The towed rider must have some kind of quick release available so they can let the strap go. I use a Moose "Buddy Tow" strap and attach it to the footpeg. The towed rider wraps the strap one complete revolution around the center of his handlebars and leaves about a foot long loose end. That end is held by the left hand on the handlebar. All he has to do to quick release is loosen up his grip on the strap and it releases. This way he has much better (2-handed) control but can disconnect from the towing bike at will and the towing force is on the bike (not dependent upon the arm strength of the rider.) Give this a try. I've towed dudes miles through nasty stuff setup just like this.

i recently broke my case on a ride in mexico and one of the guys pulls this y-shaped strap out of his pack with loops on it that go over each peg and the v in the y sits on top of the seat. same effect as the strap wedgie system without the wedgie. worked like a charm. i forgot to find out where to get one