BAJA kit dead--no lights??

So all of a suddden I have no power to my baja kit, no headlight, brake light, turn signals, horn, ect. It was working, then it wasn't. I checked the wiring, pulled and checked the 15 amp fuse, ran the bike to build a charge and nothing! I can start the bike no problem, but not even the headlight works which is a problem since I do a lot of night rides. I have had the bike for years and never have had this problem. I opened up the terminal that activates signals, lights and cleaned on the contacts, still nada. Someone point me in the right direction please. 2001 WRF426 ?

Just a thought here, as I am not a qualified electrical weenie

You might want to check your voltage regulator. I wasn't smart enough to disconnect my battery when installing my dual sport kit, and I shorted out my main fuse at the battery. No big deal I thought, replaced the fuse and the bike worked fine - for about 5 minutes. My headlight bulb burnt out right away, and as it turned out, the short smoked my voltage regulator and it was putting out way too much voltage at anything other than idle.

Assuming your bike is wired the same as my 03 (might be wrong assumption) it has a 12V AC headlight. Loosen your headlight so you can flop it forward to get at the connector on the back of the bulb. Start your bike, probe the two bulb wires through the back of the connector, gently rev the motor and watch the voltmeter. If the AC voltage shoots way up past 12V (like into the 20's and 30's), your regulator is toast.

Hope this helps

Buy a Volt/Ohmmeter with continuity testing capability. It's always handy for testing electricals and cheapies can be had at wallmart for under $10 I think. The cheap ones didn't work for testing my VFR stator, the resistance was too low... but for continuity the cheapest is fine.

Check the switch. The kill part might still switch off ok but the power lead to the lights might not be working. I thought the switch I got with mine was kinda weak.

If the bike runs the stator should be ok. eStart bikes will need to run without the battery attached.

If the bulbs are burned out, the regulator rectifier might be going out but works well enought to run the ignition. Some lights wouldn't be burned out though.

If you tested the turn signals with the motor running they could be burned out. If you didn't test them, try them without the motor. If they work the power lead to the switch should be ok.

If you still haven't found it, test to see if voltage is getting to the headlight.

Thanks to all, mjslim pretty much nailed it. I called BAJA designs, they stated that I may have burnt out my regulator since I was running at high speeds with the headlight off. Basically fried the brain of the unit since it was receiving power, but had nowhere to direct it. I will test it tonight and we will see...

Thanks to all, mjslim pretty much nailed it. I called BAJA designs, they stated that I may have burnt out my regulator since I was running at high speeds with the headlight off. Basically fried the brain of the unit since it was receiving power, but had nowhere to direct it. I will test it tonight and we will see...

The Baja Designs electrical design department scares me do death! ? I wonder if they are ex Lucas (The Prince Of Darkness) electronics guys that made England love warm beer and refridgerators that worked half the time. ?

The Baja Designs electrical design department scares me do death! ? I wonder if they are ex Lucas (The Prince Of Darkness) electronics guys that made England love warm beer and refridgerators that worked half the time. ?

I'm sure happy my kid showed me TT because I would have bought the baja design kit never knowing about Trick Dual Sport. p.s. thanks Indy

I'm sure happy my kid showed me TT because I would have bought the baja design kit never knowing about Trick Dual Sport. p.s. thanks Indy

yeh, no doubt- I have 3 buddies that have the same kit, there is ALWAYS something wrong, blinker won't work, brake light works only on Tuesdays... For such a simple design the quality sure stinks...

So I guess the moral of the story is to always run with your headlight on for those of us unfortunate enough to have the Baja Designs kit.

Please forgive me Indy!

I too purchased my DS kit from BD long before I found this site..........................?.............. ?

there, finally got that off my chest.........

While many here know I have had issues with BD on my 05WR450 I would not say it the kit is junk. The wire harness is well done and the kit works as advertised, but only time will tell about their long-term quality. They charge much less than any other company I have found. $380 verses well over $500. It is their technical help that I was not impressed with.

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?"

He replied, "It doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners.

It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made the refrigerators, too.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.

Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.

Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment:

Check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting:

"Oh Lucas, Prince of Darkness, protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners.

It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made the refrigerators, too.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.

Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.

Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment:

Check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting:

"Oh Lucas, Prince of Darkness, protect your unworthy servant."

That is some Great stuff. ?:D:D:o?:D:D:D????:D:lame::lame::lame::lame:

I am glad I am not the only one who can see the connection with Baja Designs and Lucas Electronics. ?

Thanks for the history lesson! ?