HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HondaXR650L

Thou shall not kill-switch.

9 posts in this topic

How do I dissable the kill switch in my stand? I like the light that say's that it is down but I want to make lubing the chain easer. (I am getting a motion pro quick jack motorcycle stand for the other side of the bike) and I want to raise up the back tire and put it in gear to move the chain fast, for cleaning and lubing. I have a 2002 Honda XR650L and would like any help that you guy's or girls can offer.

According to the schematic, there are 3 wires going to the sidestand switch:

GREEN/WHITE STRIPE (GW), goes to the CDI

GREEN (G)- ground

YELLOW/BLACK STRIPE (YBl)- sidestand light

Stand down, YBl connects to ground, GW is isolated.

with the stand up, YBl is isolated, and GW connects to ground.

So, short thew GW wire to ground.

Dave

Cleaning the chain with the motor running and the bike in gear is a pretty dangerous thing to do. If a rag catches, it can pull your hand into the sprockets.

I'd STRONGLY advise not using this method, rotate the wheel by hand instead.

If you want to fiddle with the wires, I'd do it just past the connector that leads to the sidestand switch. That way anything you munge is replaceable.

Dave

what mike said. you don't want to do it w/ the gear running. 1. your hand might get caught (i've seen the aftermath and it wasn't pretty). 2 the bike might vibrate off the stand and go into things you don't want it to (ground, cars, animals, people, etc)

it's not that hard to rotate the rear wheel by hand while lubing.

what mike said. you don't want to do it w/ the gear running. 1. your hand might get caught (i've seen the aftermath and it wasn't pretty). 2 the bike might vibrate off the stand and go into things you don't want it to (ground, cars, animals, people, etc)

it's not that hard to rotate the rear wheel by hand while lubing.

Make it three people who have told you DON'T do it! Bad, bad, idea.

I don't know. Do you realy need all your didgets to pull the cluch and the brake???