HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sonorawfo

D/S tire XR650R

13 posts in this topic

I'm working on a buddys bike, 02 XR650R, that will be used 80/20, offroad,street. I have been riding & racing for almost 4 decades & I prefer the Pirelli MT21,s for D/S use. While not the best offroad tire they work decent & just plain outlast everything else I've used. This rider just wants to do some trailriding + use the bike as a work comuter. Any better suggestions???. :)

The 130-series MT21 is more aggressive than the 120 series (if that's what you've used). Of course, there's always the terraflex.

The MT21 is a good choice, and only loses out to the 'flex in deep mud and sand.

The 21 is better in the rocks.

Dave

I'm working on a buddys bike, 02 XR650R, that will be used 80/20, offroad,street. I have been riding & racing for almost 4 decades & I prefer the Pirelli MT21,s for D/S use. While not the best offroad tire they work decent & just plain outlast everything else I've used. This rider just wants to do some trailriding + use the bike as a work comuter. Any better suggestions???. :)

My buddy wa not impressed by the longevity of the MT21 on his 650r. But I think he will never be happy with any tire on this bike :)

Just to give you another option, I've heard good things about the Michelin Baja. Probably very pricey though.

I was not happy with the 606 in the soft stuff but every where else it was ok. It did last for long time.

I loved the MT21 it seemed to be able to handle everything satisfacorily though not great in any area. It also was a very long lasting tire with one weakness I noticed. Because of its lower profile it could pinch a tube easier.

D 606 rear/ anything but that up front.

I run 606s front and rear - do you guys have the new 130 size 606?

Is it well know that it is not a good front tyre?

I bought them for longevity. Thing it 280lbs plus ride plus high 50s HP eats rear tyres!!!!!

Tried and toasted them all....MT21, D606, Maxis IT. None..I mean NONE have lasted as long or performed as well as the Michelin Baja's. You can put unbelievable street miles on them and they just don't wear. Expensive but will outlast three sets of MT21's. :)

Hi Danco, nice to hear from you again :) Does the Michelin Baja grip well enough for you on asphault while in the twisties and is it predictable? I'm worried about washing out at speed on the highway while playing, but it will be some time before I ride again so I'm just thinking out loud and planning for the future.

Still riding the darth vader cycle or something new?

Thanks for the input guys, I'm not quite sure what to think of the response from NVFirefighters??. Maybe he was having a bad day?, or maybe he could'nt think correctly with his head up his A$$!!. Anyway the MT21,s while not a great tire in any area seem to work decent & being on a budjet, (my main reason for liking them). They just plain outlast anything else I've tryed. I 've used them on my XRL & still use them on my DRZ, I just wanted to know how they would stand up to the BRP. :)

Call me crazy, but I really like my Kenda Trakmaster II's. They are inexpensive, great off road and wear well. Road performance is adequate, but they are LOUD at highway speed. Am I the only idiot using these things?

MT-21s are allergic to any soil containing moisture.