HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigtom17

Hot Start Switch

4 posts in this topic

:) Anybody use one on the BRP. I bought one from XR's only a couple years ago, then put on and EBQS so didn't think I needed it. Not sure if I want to sell it or send it back or install it. What does it do and how well does it work. I think they put them on at factory for the CRF450R. Anyone have info on this????

...What does it do and how well does it work. I think they put them on at factory for the CRF450R. Anyone have info on this????

If your bikes goes down or the engine floods or the engine is hot, the air / fuel mixture in the cylinder will be too rich for a quick start. The hot start simply creates an air leak in the intake to let cool fresh dense air into the engine, which makes starting easier when the engine is hot or flooded.

Besides using it to help you get your bike started, you can use it as a diagnostic tool just as you'd use the choke, but it works opposite. For instance, if your bike was popping on deceleration and performance wasn't so good, etc, you could put your choke on part way to temporarily enrich the fuel mixture as a test to see if that made your bike run better or worse. If your bike was blubbering or poofing black smoke, you could use the hot start to create a temporary lean mixture as a test to see if your bike runs better or worse and then make jetting changes in that direction.

If the other bikes such as CRF's, YZF's, WRF's, KTM's, etc, had a fuel bowl & accelerator pump system that incorporated some of Edelbrocks designs, they wouldn't need a hot start. Too bad our bikes didn't come standard with carb that took the best from the FCR & Edelbrock.

Even with a pumper, you can crank the throttle wide open, hold it open, and kick.

If you can kick it WFO, this clears things out just fine.

The mixture will be lean doing this, because the air flow threough the carb will be so low that it won't suck any fuel out of the bowl.

Dave