Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ron_in_SoCal

HelmetCam - Need Advice...

7 posts in this topic

Okay, I've got a helmetcam. Now I need a camcorder. Problem is I know nothing about these things.

Don't want a high end unit that stands a good chance of being submerged in a failed attempt at a deep water crossing or getting smashed to bits on a tree or rock somewhere. Don't want a super cheapo unit that has lame playback picture / sound quality. Size and ease-of-use, not to mention $$$, are major factors currently under consideration.

Anyone have experience with Hi8 vs. 8mm? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Ron,

I'm probably not much help on your question since I bought my camera a couple of years ago, but one feature mine has that would be important is the steady-cam feature to smooth out the jitters. That may be standard on all cameras for all I know. I am interested in a helmet cam also. Any tips for purchase and features?

JOHN

Hi there...

heeyyy.. here's a topic I can supply info on.

I use a mini cam from these folks. http://www.customvideocameras.com/index.html

IF you end up buying one from these guys, mention my name and I get brownie points for the next time I buy. :D

For a recorder, I'm using a Canon ZR10 MiniDV camcorder. http://www.canondv.com/zr10/ It's small, has decent battery usge (2.25 hrs/ battery) and the audio/video inputs are in a handy spot.

The bit about steady-cam/anti-vibration being handy is only if you're planning on mounting the camcorder to your helmet. You could do this with a cam as small as the ZR10, but I prefer to have a less-expensive cam exposed to the elements and be recording into a camcorder in a kidney belt.

I also have a Canon GL1 and it has fantastic anti-vibration stuff, but, it's a bit bulky to haul around. IF you're looking for steady shot sort of stuff, check out the diference between optical and electronic stabilization. I prefer the optical.

Format? MiniDV is a pretty recent standard, The tapes are 1/2 the size of a 8mm handicam tape... with better quality.. ain't it always that way...

I picked this camera and format because of the IEEE1394 interface. This is also called "FireWire" It is a highspeed serial bus with a protocol for device control. It's similar to the USB concept. It makes the transfer of video from the camcorder to the 'puter quick and easy.

Do ya want to get into the editing side of things :)

With all of us with helmet cams we should get some pretty interesting footage to say the least.

Does the anti v b a i n thing work with the

i r t o

remote lens?

I should get my helmet cam Friday word is there selling like hot cakes and with the christmas holidays mail is slloowww...

merry X-mas,huge

Does the anti-vibration work with the remote lens. Nope. It's made to work on the primary camcorder lens. When you plug in a remote cam you are actually going into VCR mode and recording. Just like duping tapes.