Pro Moto Billet Silent Insert

I am wondering if anyone hanging around is looking to sell one. I am interested to se what it can do for my 04 WR450. I just thought it would be worth checking here before I place an order for one.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

I am wondering if anyone hanging around is looking to sell one. I am interested to se what it can do for my 04 WR450. I just thought it would be worth checking here before I place an order for one.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

I have an 04 WR450 and I just bought a new FMF muffler. My stock exhaust has the PMB insert. Its like new condition. Less than 100 miles on it. I sent you a PM

I just did a test for an upcoming article for Dirt Rider using the stock exhaust, the GYT-R and the Pro Moto insert. The Pro Moto insert was better than the GYT-R and even better than an uncorked exhaust. It also matched PMB's claims for sound. While it won't give you the performance of a complete exhaust system, it costs only a fraction of that and provides enough boost over stock that only a serious racer would find it inadequate. IMO, the cheapest and best way to gain some power and keep the legal sound level of the WR.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help and may look into a full exhaust later, but right now I think the insert will do just fine, especially when you look at cost/benefit ratios.

Thank again,

Phil

How easy/difficult is the PMB Silent insert to install? Is the fit "right-on".

It's tight, but only because it has an o-ring seal. As long as the muffler tip has not been damaged or knocked out of round, it should fit fine.

Does installing the PMB insert require removing the pipe insert or just the allen screws and the spark arrester? The 05 has several baffles and small pipe outlets even with the end uncorked. Which pipe did you use as the stock for your tests. I would love to leave the factory one in place if the PMB insert works that well with the 05 pipe!

Does installing the PMB insert require removing the pipe insert or just the allen screws and the spark arrester? The 05 has several baffles and small pipe outlets even with the end uncorked. Which pipe did you use as the stock for your tests. I would love to leave the factory one in place if the PMB insert works that well with the 05 pipe!

I used my stock '04 muffler, which is the same as the '03. To install, all you need to remove is the one bolt in the end of the muffler, which allows you to remove the stock insert. The spark arrestor stays in place as it is part of the end cap. You don't even touch it. On the '05 the process is completely different, unfortunately.

Rick thanks for the reply. The guts of the 05 look similar to a "turbo" muffler on a car. Even after removing the spark arrester there are several baffles and small 1" or so pipes crossing between them. It does not take a PHD to determine the amount of flow is highly restricted even with the spark arrester removed. PMB does not have an insert yet for the 05. I am now toying with the idea of running a YZ pipe. I have posted a thread to see what other users think. I believe the 05 has a different pipe than the 04 and earlier.

timcook

I just put a YZ pipe on my 05 on sunday used stock head pipe fits perfectly and sounds real deep. Just need to get the PMB spark arrestor for it and i'm set.

What's that about the spark arrestor? Does the PMB insert replace the stock spark arrestor?

What's that about the spark arrestor? Does the PMB insert replace the stock spark arrestor?

YZ pipes don't come with a spark arrestor installed in them. That's what the PMB end cap is for, & with the end cap you can also buy their "quiet" insert that bolts into the endcap, if you have to meet db requirements somewhere.

Anyone wishing to get rid of a USED one PM too if you would. Otherwise I will just order one. Did I understand the post correctly that said the PMB insert is better than totally uncorked? How does that happen, if someone would like to explain. Again type slow. ?

Four stroke engines require some amount of backpressure in order to properly scavenge the cylinder. An open exhaust will reduce backpressure to the point that low RPM performance will suffer. The uncorked exhaust showed less power below 5K RPM than with the Pro Moto Billet insert. The miniscule peak HP gain uncorked was at so high an RPM that it wasn't worth the tradeoff, IMO. And the sound level uncorked was unacceptable.

I am trying to piece this together.

So if the 05 stock muffler is different from the 03/04 muffler, 05 core is more restrictive, then the PMB for the 05 "does not" have the same power advantages/benefits of the 03/04 PMB for the 03/04 stock WR muffler. Is this statement correct? Maybe I should call a PMB tech.

Rick is right....the PMB insert is now available for the 05. I looked at their spark arresters and assumed the 05 was not yet available. I need to call them to find out if the interior baffles need to be removed as well. If the baffles are removed and the PMB insert is installed for $60 then I feel this is a better idea for the 05 then a $300 plus aftermarket pipe or a $200 plus YZ pipe.

I still am not sure what the YZ pipe cost. Has anyone purchased one lately? If so cost? Performance gains????