HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
duecethree

426 found new home

11 posts in this topic

Just got my first thumper home today. Got a 02 426. I do have a small problem. I thought I had the starting drill down but obviously I don't. I think I flooded it. I shut the fuel off and held the decomp and kicked it over around 10 times. On one of the kicks it "popped' in the pipe. I let it sit for an hour or so and went back out and tried to start it again. No go.

When I picked the bike up it started 2nd kick. I rode it for a couple of miles. Shut it off and it started about 15 minutes later 2nd kick.

Any ideas?

I would start with taking out the spark plug, turn off the fuel and drain the carb out. There is a small allen head bolt on the bottom of the carb, just loosen it untill all the gas drains out of the carb. Then hold the kill switch and kick it over a bunch off times to clear the gas from the cyclindar. Put a new plug in, turn your fuel back on, and it should start right up. That always works for me if I flood it real bad.

Congrats and welcome.

Starting drill video:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/mcy/media/video/four_stroke_fr.html

Cold engine: twist the throttle 3 times, pull the choke on and kick.

Warm engine: Pull the hot start and kick.

You can adjust the idle a bit higher before kicking to help the bike start better, but while kicking DO NOT touch the throttle, warm or cold.

When I had my 426, I always used the hot start if the bike was even a little warm.

Also, put in an iridium plug, it gives better spark. :)

Screw the drill.Do the 450 cam mod.I did it in my 00 426 and haven't had A problem starting it since.I've had the same plug in it for about 6 months.This mod is A must have for any 426.It will put A :) on your face.

Screw the drill.Do the 450 cam mod.I did it in my 00 426 and haven't had A problem starting it since.I've had the same plug in it for about 6 months.This mod is A must have for any 426.It will put A :) on your face.

Totally unnecessary to open up the top end only for doing it. If you cannot fire it up as it is stock, you should ride the bus. :)

Nice to hear.

BTW - the bus was not for you.

I get irritated to smart-arse replies like slider's. Nothing to do with solving the current problem.

Keep on riding!

Nice to hear.

BTW - the bus was not for you.

I get irritated to smart-arse replies like slider's. Nothing to do with solving the current problem.

Keep on riding!

I meant after solving the current problem that the mod would be A good idea.

No need to get your panties in A wad over my opinion.Why go through A drill over A poor engineering problem which can be easily corrected?

Bite me SUREBLOW. :)

If it won't start after a hanfull of kicks then replace the plug and it will fire right away. Especially if it goes "pop pop pop" on one of the first few kicks. Learned this the hard way a few years ago. :)

Did the same thing with my 01 426. New plug time. You may want to check with your local auto parts store. I have been able to get plugs(autolite, champion ,& ngk ) and also oil filters(fram) from my local parts store. (advance auto) If they do not have it in stock they have it the next morning. Big time $ savings. Good luck and enjoy

Thanks for the heads up. It was on a sunday when i was messing with the bike so the bike shops were closed. Ended up going into NAPA and getting plugs etc for a ton cheaper than what the bike shops wanted.