need advice fellow TTer's

Hey I Dropped a valve in my 02 426 and the motor is trashed. I just dropped 5 bens on new chain sprockets,clutch plates, wiesco piston etc. What would you do find a 02 426 or a new 450 and why? I figured an 02 426 so I can swap my scott's dampner and triple clamp and all my new goodies. :):)

Why can't you re-build your motor? If the cylinder is trashed, Eric Gorr has exchange cylinders w/piston kits for a reasonable price. Your triple clamp won't work on a '04 450 because the fork tubes are bigger.

when the valve dropped it messed up my head and cylinder

Hey I Dropped a valve in my 02 426 and the motor is trashed. I just dropped 5 bens on new chain sprockets,clutch plates, wiesco piston etc. What would you do find a 02 426 or a new 450 and why? I figured an 02 426 so I can swap my scott's dampner and triple clamp and all my new goodies. :):)

That depends on what you wish to do, MX or woods and how goo dyou are

I mean the later in a plain way.

Will you benifit form going to a 450?

or are you as fast on the 426?

personally I like the 426, the 450 is nice, but

I would rebuilt it if it were mine. The parts will be expensive, but not as much as a new bike and it will be just as fun.

Plan A would be to try to find another cylinder head on E-Bay or elsewhere (This guy might have one ), and rebuild it. A whole new cylinder costs less than most bore and replate jobs. But, you should have the crank redone, too, since the impact of chewing on the valve may have slammed a few dents in the big end.

Other options would be to buy another '02, or an '03 450 (a lot of your stuff will fit, including your clamp), or a newer one.

Tough decision.

You are better off rebuilding her and getting another 3 - 4 years out of her. Drop $2,000 - $2,500 in her and rebuild her right!

new clutch baskets

new countershaft bearing and seals

new water pump shaft and seals

new crank ( cam chain sprocket wears and hooks)

new cam chain and tensioner

new engine gasket kit

new jug

new piston (make her a 450) & rod

replace the valves, springs and guides and get a port job on the head.

It will run as good as a new 450 and it will end up costing you less in the long run! :)

thanks all I found a 02 426 that is in awsome shape barely riden for about the same amount to rebuild mine. So that is the way I am going. But I will keep a look out for parts and put it back together with time. Then I will have 2-02 426 to ride. I need a bike soon I got a race this Sat. Thanks fellow TTer's for your inputs :)

I had great luck parting out a 2002 YZ250F when my engine blew. I saved what I could and sold the rest off as a partial payment on a 2003 YZ450F. I just listed everything here on TT and sold just about all of it for the price I asked, I think I asked about 25% of the replacement cost.