HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan_Lorenze

OK, who's lost their starter button...

17 posts in this topic

I went out riding yesterday with my buddy Derek, both of our WRs lost the little grey plastic center of the starter buttons... Poor design... I'm gettin a KTM.. :):)

Anybody else?

i really lost the starter button! as in sold it with the starter assembly :) but i know what your sayin', i kinda question the integrity of the kill switch? does someone make a better switch?

ncmountainman - How much weight do you think you saved by removing the starter? Do you still have the headlight and taillight?

Oh man, I missed not having the button on the ride. I never appreciated it until it left me.. :p:) The good thing, it started 1st kick everytime... :)

Both for mine, starter and kill, broke twice so I cut and put on some honda style buttons. Haven't let me down yet.

so hondas are good for sumthin' :) is it the big round rubber style? motodude,the starter and everything that goes with it was 13+ lbs, i don't run the lights,over a lb in front just in the headlight alone. by switching to a yz fender in the rear it was 2 lbs difference. i've taken over 20 lbs off my bike. big difference,but man i got on a 05 yzf450 at the dealership and it felt like a 250 compared to mine. :)

I lost both starter and kill. Replaced the starter button with a stock unit and replaced the kill switch with a Honda kill switch.

After mine broke right after I got my 03' I replaced it with a Kawasaki kill switch/button. Both the Honda style and the Kawasaki will work much better than the stock Yamaha. The Kawasaki button is red and marked ENGINE STOP. If you use it you will be asked by someone what the purpose of two kill buttons are for. Depending who you're talking to there are plenty of good answers. :)

Me, first day, I got my new 03 WR450 home, first start. The grey button zinged....... accross the garage floor after the first push and now, three years later, has yet to be found!?!?!? I scarfed a kill swith off my kid's ATV that day and it installed fine and works great even now....

If you think KTMs are better, ask them about the galled drain plugs you need to constantly tap out, weeping WP forks, head shake above third gear, two oil filters (??) and that ugly color .... :)

I went out riding yesterday with my buddy Derek, both of our WRs lost the little grey plastic center of the starter buttons... Poor design... I'm gettin a KTM.. :):) Anybody else?

Me too, on my first day out :D I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it (warrantee)..... hope I don't have to replace the POS button after every ride :p I'll be looking for a better solution next time.

I lost my kill switch during my ride yesterday. That was the last thing I tought I would have to replace.

I replaced both of my mini stock buttons. They are a terrible design. The plastic wears internally and the spring pops the button out! I went with the YZ250 kill switch buttons that are twice as large. I put one on the left for the kill and the other on the right for starting. That was over a year ago. No issues with the big buttons. Only problem is that they are both red! :)

I didn't loose anything out of the button, it just quit working. But that was last Labor day weekend with 2500 miles on the bike. I just switched the starter button for the kill button and kept on riding. It is the same plug on the end of the wires, or at least it is on an 03.

Jim

YZ kill switch is the way to go.

Use some of the wife's nail varnish to make it a different colour - maybe a nice pink

Why not just Superglue the grey insert to the rubber piece? I like the stock buttons, if I could have just glued them before I knew it was a problem.

i too lost both on my 04 wr. and they are junk. fu-k gluing them on, they will still bust.

i used a DRZ SW for the start and my horn button for a kill.

I went out riding yesterday with my buddy Derek, both of our WRs lost the little grey plastic center of the starter buttons... Poor design... I'm gettin a KTM.. :):D

Anybody else?

Mine didn't even make it to the first ride :) Went to hit the button and it was gone :p My 03 wr lasted for a year and never popped out. I'm looking at a couple atv switches that have a light switch,kill and start button in one unit.