Mobil 1 Extended Performance Gold Cap

I asked about using the Gold Cap on the Mobil 1 website and here is the response that I got.

The Mobil 1 Extended Performance can not be used in a motorcycle for it

can cause clutch slippage. The MX4T in dallas can only be found at

Autozones. I would recommend checking with other locations.

By the way, all the AutoZones around here, or at least the ones I checked with, have stopped carrying the MX4T and you can't special order it.

I bought 12 bottles yesterday from an AutoZone that was clearing the shelves. Not sure if I should take it back and get some AMSOIL, Redline, etc.

I thought I'd go with MX4T because it is "easy to find". Guess not.

No offense, but they make more money on the "motorcycle specific" oil so of course they will recommend it.

And Yamaha recommends their Yamalube...

And McDonalds recommends the Big Mac over the regular cheeseburger...

Etc.

I haven't decided what I'm going to use when the 2 gallons of red cap I have run out...

Most I've read say they will use the new stuff. I have enough RC to see if it hurts their bikes before I try it myself. ?

The truth of the matter is that Mobil 1 has gotten to be almost as much as I pay for AMSOIL Motorcycle specific oil. I buy a case or two at the beginning of the season and it works out to about $5.50 a quart including shipping. Kragen is getting $4.99 for Mobil 1. They are both good oils but at least with the AMSOIL you know it's ok for wet clutch apps.

I haven't seen an analysis sheet on the contents of Gold Cap yet, but if it's formulated for newer cars, it will have too little zinc and phosphorus, and probably too much of some friction reducer like molybdenum in its place. I see a lot of merit in the argument by JASO that the SG/SH oils were and still are better for high performance motorcycle engines, so I look for the MA grading, or the API SG/SH grade. Either that, or a good commercial graded oil that comes with the recommendation of someone I trust.

When I see that Gold Cap isn't loaded with moly and actually has good Zn/P levels, and someone has used it for a while with success, I'll take a look. Until then, MX4T works fine. Extremely fine, in fact.

I'm with Grayracer. I just feel better seeing the JASO MA, etc. on the bottle. Call me an idiot, but I'd rather pay a little more for oil for the peace of mind that comes with it.

I know Mobil 1 is out to sell their m/c specific oil, but I know there were a lot of people asking about the gold cap.

I'll let someone else be the guinea pig on this one.

I'm with Grayracer. I just feel better seeing the JASO MA, etc. on the bottle. Call me an idiot, but I'd rather pay a little more for oil for the peace of mind that comes with it.

I know Mobil 1 is out to sell their m/c specific oil, but I know there were a lot of people asking about the gold cap.

I'll let someone else be the guinea pig on this one.

Don't get me wrong, those gradings are not absolutely necessary for an oil to work well, but absent any other assurances of compatibility, they're good indicators. Red Cap had none of these gradings, for instance. Rotella either, although I can't recall, it may carry SH. Both these oils are high on my list of good stuff, but there are any number of SL/SJ oils you wouldn't want to use, too. That's why I said what I said about testimonials from trusted sources.

I asked Golden Spectro about one of their oils that was not SJ rated and got a similar response from them. The oil met SJ tests just fine, but it had too much of something in it (dont' remember if it was phosporous, etc..) to make the SJ rating. I posted the email on here somewhere, can probably be found with the search (I'm too lazy to search now). ?

When I see that Gold Cap isn't loaded with moly and actually has good Zn/P levels, and someone has used it for a while with success, I'll take a look. Until then, MX4T works fine. Extremely fine, in fact.

red cap vs new gold cap

MOLY-69..76

Po----0....1

Bo---176..232

Si-----8...4

So----8....5

Ca--2339..3281

Ma----18...13

Phos-1072..791

Zi----1175..958

visc---89....62

this was off a mobil site,i wrote the figures down about a week ago and don't have the site address.

i abbreviated the elements so if they're wrong its my fault,i think those are PPM figures