Intake camshaft?

upon removing and inspecting my INTAKE camshaft I noticed that the center camshaft lobe is a bit offset from the two outside lobes, like when looking at the camshaft longways you can see the center lobe is not completely inline with the other two.......is this normal???

Hey Tammie

The cams are built this way. It is absolutely normal. If you got a new one it would look the same. It has to do with valve timing, you get a bit more duration without having to have all the valves open so it broadens the power band.

Hey Tammie

The cams are built this way. It is absolutely normal. If you got a new one it would look the same. It has to do with valve timing, you get a bit more duration without having to have all the valves open so it broadens the power band.

Actually all the intakes open and close at the same time. It is the valve offset that requires the lobes to be positioned the way they are. Tdub

ok thanx guys............just didn't look right to me looking at it and in the manual it looks as the though the diagram of the camshaft the lobes are all inline..........thought mine was messed up...........phew..

thanx frostbite ?

it all makes sense now ?

Actually all the intakes open and close at the same time. It is the valve offset that requires the lobes to be positioned the way they are. Tdub

I knew the cam was normal but I didn't exactly know why the lobe was off set. I hate not knowing the answer so I took my best guess. ?