Intake camshaft?

upon removing and inspecting my INTAKE camshaft I noticed that the center camshaft lobe is a bit offset from the two outside lobes, like when looking at the camshaft longways you can see the center lobe is not completely inline with the other two.......is this normal???

I would think so since the three valves on the intake side couldn't be in a straight line in relation to the cam.

does this mean I need a new intake cam OR can this be fixed??

anyone know this for SURE??

Hey Tammie

The cams are built this way. It is absolutely normal. If you got a new one it would look the same. It has to do with valve timing, you get a bit more duration without having to have all the valves open so it broadens the power band.

Hey Tammie

The cams are built this way. It is absolutely normal. If you got a new one it would look the same. It has to do with valve timing, you get a bit more duration without having to have all the valves open so it broadens the power band.

Actually all the intakes open and close at the same time. It is the valve offset that requires the lobes to be positioned the way they are. Tdub

Hmmmm that sounds like what I was taking about in my earlier post. I may not have been as clear.

ok thanx guys............just didn't look right to me looking at it and in the manual it looks as the though the diagram of the camshaft the lobes are all inline..........thought mine was messed up...........phew..

thanx frostbite :)

it all makes sense now :)

Actually all the intakes open and close at the same time. It is the valve offset that requires the lobes to be positioned the way they are. Tdub

I knew the cam was normal but I didn't exactly know why the lobe was off set. I hate not knowing the answer so I took my best guess. :)

Like FFR said. Next time you have the cam out, look at the arrangement of the valve lifters in the head. Because the center valve inserts more vertically than the outer two, they don't all line up. The split in the lobe centering makes up for it.

Man you all ROCK. This is why i LOVE this site ,it is so informative. Tammi you are doing a great job, keep it up . I learn so much from reading everybodys posts and questions. :):):p

Like FFR said. Next time you have the cam out, look at the arrangement of the valve lifters in the head. Because the center valve inserts more vertically than the outer two, they don't all line up. The split in the lobe centering makes up for it.

Like the Grey man said, here's the split.