Which year 650r to buy?

Love to get back into the wonderful off road fun....which year 650r should I look for? For the difference in price, is it better to buy a new one or a recent one with many goodies already installed? Have considered the WR 400/426/450 and the KTM's...just like the idea of low maintenance and reliability....more time to ride, less time with the tools :>

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, Joe ?

Any year will be good for you seeing that no changes have been made since 2000. In my opinion, you should try to find one that has some mods done if you really want to save the cash. I purchased mine new and I've put nearly $3000 into it since then to satisfy my type of riding...which is strictly southern california desert. I've seen cherry 2000's on ebay with BajaDesigns dual sport setups on them going for $3500 or so and they've made me wanna kick myself. And oh yeah speaking of that, if you do want it dual sported, buy one that already has a plate on it...trust me, it's a WHOLE lot easier ?

The only problems I know of are 2000-2001 models had some countershaft seals leaking and clutch bushing problem. Both are easy to fix. Other than that the bikes are unchanged as far as I know. I have seen some used bikes for around $3000-3500 with alot of goodies on them.

Mine is a year 2000 model with 6500kms on it.....I put the clutch bushing in no problem (30mins and dead easy....you also need a new clutch centre nut too...definatley...)but I also have a countershaft seal ready to put in should it start to leak.....its a standard bike apart from a pilot and main jet...if you can ride it full bore through a forest standard you`re doing well.....maybe don`t need a lot of extra parts....???..