yz450f or yz250???

I am considering going from a yz250f to either a yz450f or a yz250 two stroke. I ride enduros and hare scrambles. I know this is a broad question but any input would be appreciated. Also does a yz250f flywheel fit a yz450f? I am also concerned about the 4 spd tranny. Is this a issue. And just so you know, I have been down the wr road and am not interested. Thanks.

Search the forum for this question, it seems like we get one like it every week. :)

The YZ450 flywheel is not interchangeable with any other YZF that I know of. You can get high quality flywheels with the weights welded in place from Dr.D and Yamaha (GYT-R) in 4, 5 (GYT-R...standard on an '04 YZ450), 6, 7 (GYT-R), and 8 ounces added weight.

The four speed is not as big a deal as people like to make it out to be. If you gear the bike to have a low gear that is as high as that on a YZ426, fourth gear ends up being 2/3 of the way up between the 426's 4th and 5th. The result is that there is barely 3mph difference in the "on paper" top speed of the two bikes. I know mine does 89+ with such gearing, and it works for me.

You can install the complete WR450 5spd if you want, and that actually makes a pretty nice mod. You get a lower 1st, the same 2, 3, and 4, and then a big ol' 5th on top. Cost you $700, though.

I rode my first hare scramble yesterday. It was at an mx track that was flagged with a lot of extra tight turns and extended to include some steep but short climbs/descents. I wish I would have taken the old wr instead of the yz. I'm not very talented yet on the yz and can accept that. That said, I felt like a complete idiot out there. I fell and stalled more times than I can count. Got ran over once. At the "hop the 8 telephone poles" section I was really wishing for a lower first gear. Stalled a lot there. More gas would have helped I know but at that point I was not capable of throttle control, clutch work and body position at once. This was a team event so I even got to rest between laps. Call me whatever you want. I think you should take another look at the wr's.

I am considering going from a yz250f to either a yz450f or a yz250 two stroke. I ride enduros and hare scrambles. I know this is a broad question but any input would be appreciated. Also does a yz250f flywheel fit a yz450f? I am also concerned about the 4 spd tranny. Is this a issue. And just so you know, I have been down the wr road and am not interested. Thanks.

i have my wr tricked out for HS ,BUT the thing is very top heavy. even after taking off over 20lbs of unwanted parts! its at 247 wet w/out gas right now. i got on a 05 yz 450 and the thing feels like a feather compared to mine!!! i'm thinkin' throw a rekluse on it,go up a couple teeth in the rear,and you'd never know it had a tall 1st gear. i don't ever get out of 4th in a race anyhow,here in the east. my other consideration is the yz250 with a L.A. sleeve 330 kit,woods it out. 56 hp to the rear wheel !!!! for just over a grand. most all the HS,and GNCC winners are running 250 2-smokes. a little food for thought :)