HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toobold30

04 yz450F coolant change

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys..i have not got a manual for my 04 Yz450f.. Im getting ready to change the coolant and would like to get some detailed steps on how to do this...I think im going to use engine ice. ...thanks everyone

At the lower edge of the water pump cover, you'll find a bolt with a copper washer under it. That's the coolant drain. Remove the radiator cap, drain the coolant, refill with distilled water, and run it for 2-3 minutes. Then drain it again and put your new coolant in. Be sure to double check for a complete fill after you run it a while, bubbles may become trapped when you fill it and work their way out to the top later.

Always be extremely cautious of removing the radiator cap from a hot engine. Let it cool for at least ten minutes, wear gloves, keep your face back, and let the cap release pressure at the first catch point when unscrewing the cap. Fooling around with hot coolant is an easy way to get burned worse than you ever did on an exhaust pipe.

i've found if you fill the rad about half full(after it all settles in)and rock the bike side too side as far as you can(w/out spilling it back out) ,it gets out the trapped air out better :)