HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jws

renthal twin walls?????

11 posts in this topic

anyone running renthal twin walls??????????

do you like them???

what handguards are you running with them???

I want to run them with my V2.0 GPR and my Cycra handguards.

I noticed the taper on the bars of the twin walls where the hand guard mount goes is a little thicker than my pro tapers - does this matter or do they make a special mount for the twin walls???

thanks for any help :)

Jeff :)

anyone running renthal twin walls??????????

do you like them???

what handguards are you running with them???

I want to run them with my V2.0 GPR and my Cycra handguards.

I noticed the taper on the bars of the twin walls where the hand guard mount goes is a little thicker than my pro tapers - does this matter or do they make a special mount for the twin walls???

thanks for any help :)

Jeff :)

Hey, Jeff!

I am running the Twinwall (Ricky Carmichael bend) with my Applied Triple clamp.

Great fit, no issues.

No handguards, just the stock brush guards.

i want to be able to run my bar mounted cycra pro bends :)

Cycras website shows 4 different bar mounts

standard

Pro taper

KTM magura

Ktm renthal

i know the standard is 7/8 but does anyone know the difference between the other three??????????

i have the pro taper bar mounts but they dont seem to look right on the twin walls as far as fit goes??

ProTaper bars taper during the rise, so where the clamp fits it's somewhere between 1-1/8 and 7/8. Twinwalls are 1-1/8 all the way up to the jump in size, so the ProTaper mount will probably be too small to mount below the break and too big to mount above.

Switch to the triple clamp style mount... it'll save your brake line :)

ProTaper bars taper during the rise, so where the clamp fits it's somewhere between 1-1/8 and 7/8. Twinwalls are 1-1/8 all the way up to the jump in size, so the ProTaper mount will probably be too small to mount below the break and too big to mount above.

I will call Cycra on monday but this is the problem i see - where i mount the handguards on the twin walls is 1 1/8 and the mounts i have have a taper built in so they wont work :)

Switch to the triple clamp style mount... it'll save your brake line

please explain :)

iam 6'4" and like my under the bar V2.0 GPR - it rises the bars up a good inch - i dont plan on changing this - if anything if i cant get the hand guards to work i will change back to pro tapers

thanks jeff

Here's the Cycra web page that sells the adapter you need to mount your handguards to the triple clamps.

http://store.cycraracing.com/trclmopr.html

When i first ordered the Cycra Pro Bends i went with the tripple clamp mount - but with my under the bar 2.0 GPR they did not work. The GPR raises the bars up an inch and that left the hanguards to low. I called Cycra and ask if they could make me a mount that was an inch longer - they told me to go with the bar mounts :)

thanks, jeff

please explain :)

If you hit them just right (or wrong) and the Cycra rotates, it can snap your brake line where it exits the master cylinder. Same applies to any bar-mounted clamp system.

I called Cycra and ask if they could make me a mount that was an inch longer - they told me to go with the bar mounts

I'd fab something. You have the two basic parts you need. All you need are four longer triple clamp screws and a plate to connect the Cycras to the clamp. Dummy everything up, make a drawing, then make a template... go to Office Depot and get some 3/16 or 1/4 foam posterboard. Transfer the drawing to this and work it until it works. Once it works, take the template and a 12-pack of Bud to a welding shop and ask for a duplicate in 1/4" aluminum or 3/16" steel.

A third option is to take your existing bar mounts to a machine shop (see above 12-pack of Bud) and see if there's enough material inside of the screws to ream the opening out to 1-7/64"

Personally, I'd go back to ProTapers :)

thanks for your ideas - iam trying not to make a project out of this. If Cycra doesnt make a bar mount for the twin walls i will go back to the pro tapers :)

as far as the brake line goes i could see where that could happen :D

i had a 40 -50 MPH get off 5 weeks ago today on a TT ride out at stoddard and broke the rear fender , right side plate, kickstand, and my left leg all in one try :D the right side hanguard did come apart it pulled the threads right out of the bar mount - i dont think the bolt was long enough - it also bent my pro tapers about 2 inches :)

right now iam just trying to get the bike back together and thought the twin walls would be nice so i could mount a GPS on the cross bar.

jeff :p

I hear ya on not making a major project out of it... I love to build stuff though :)

Hmm... bent the ProTapers, pulled the Cycra, and broke your leg.

I guess what they say about Cycras is right:

"If you break them, you can worry about it after you get out of the hospital" :)

For the GPS , I bought a RAM mount and it goes right on the bars. They make them for 1-1/8 and 7/8, but the only difference is the size of the U-bolt, so the 1-1/8 will fit a ProTaper. I find the crossbar actually in the way when trying to crowd stuff onto the bars. I could certainly mount my GPS and bar mounts for my MSR barkbusters in a better location without the crossbar.

For the GPS , I bought a RAM mount and it goes right on the bars. They make them for 1-1/8 and 7/8, but the only difference is the size of the U-bolt, so the 1-1/8 will fit a ProTaper. I find the crossbar actually in the way when trying to crowd stuff onto the bars. I could certainly mount my GPS and bar mounts for my MSR barkbusters in a better location without the crossbar.

after reading this iam going with the pro tapers :p

for some reason in my head i was thinking i needed the crossbar to mount the GPS :) i dont know why?

jeff :D