Silkolene Pro 4 SX 15W50

I already did a search, and sorry to start another oil thread.

My Yamaha dealer stocks this oil and with Red Cap no longer available, I was looking to switch from Yamalube 4 in my 04 450 to a full synthetic.

I considered AMSOil, RedLine, etc. but this is the most easily accessible oil for me, or the Redline 10w40.

Which is better? I know, I know, been asked before, etc.

The Silkolene seems to be pretty popular in the DRZs but not as much for the Yamahas.

I guess I am just looking for validation from someone who uses this in their 450. Also wondering if the 15W50 is a good weight to be running here in Dallas, TX or if it a 10W40 would be better.

I use the semi-synthetic silkolene... 10-40 and have not had a problem... Seems to be great oil. Been using it for several years and have not had any problems. Infact I just did a complete rebuild (because the guy wanted to not because it needed it) on my old 00 426... The thing looked and checked out perfect...... ?

Addressing only the viscosity question, I prefer to use a lighter oil when it fits the requirements of the temperature range. 40 weight is good up to 114 degrees F, and since I don't ride when it gets that hot in the desert, and it's never that hot anywhere else around here, I don't need a 50. I underestand that Texas is different, and you may want to use a 50 if the temps get up around 100 most of the time. There's no question that a 40 will lube the piston, cams, and any other "plain" bearing surface adequately, but the ball bearings in the engine might benefit from the greater viscosity in hotter weather, even if it isn't strictly required.

A good full synthetic is a good idea, because the base oils require less modification to achieve their multi-grade viscosity performance, and that tends to make them generally more durable in retaining their viscosity longer.

Change oil often.