HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dualsport newbie

XRL Tires? Pipe?

12 posts in this topic

so i've got the Clarke 4.0 tank, the IMS SMOG kit, front disc guard, skid plate , acerbis tail light, protaper bars.

Next, i would like to go after the exhaust and the tires. what's the right tire for 60/40 dirt/street for my XR650L? who likes what? Dunlop D606???

what about slip on pipes? FMF Q, White Bros E, Big Gun Race??????

After these mods I'll go after the jetting and attempt to put 30,000 miles on my bike!!!!!!!!!!!!

dualsportnewbie...I don't think you can run an aftermarket performance slip on pipe without jetting...Think about doing the pipe and jet kit at the same time...You will also need to take out the restriction in the tube that connects the carb to the head if the XRL has the same insert as the XRR.......For a really cheap low end torque mod, think about going up a few teeth on the rear sprocket....

DSNB, the XRL comes jetted too lean from the factory, rejet for sure if you add the pipe.

The standard-mods have been compiled here:

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

With the stock pipe, and straight gas (not gasohol) the proper jetting is about 55/158 on the pilot/main jets.

I'd call the big pirelli MT21 (the 130 series) about 60% dirt, a little noisy but pretty good. It sticks very well in rock and on pavement, wet or dry.

-Dave

You have to replace filter with a high flow dual stage and jet to add a good pipe and run properly. I am saving some beans to do this myself. Gonna get the jet/dyno kit from BajaDesigns and leaning towards a FMF Q model or Big Gun Quiet to be able to ride anywhere in Ca and not be stopped by 96db park ranger limits.

I love the M21's...makes me look like a good rider :) As far as a pipe,man I would stay stock,open up the airbox,raise yur needle,cut the tab of the pilot screw...you know the drill,larger jets all that,remember...loud pipes risk rights!

White Bros E. Oh Yeah. :) Nothing on the road around here sounds like it. Get it and you will love it.

No s#!t!!! Roy's uncorked XR650L with Dynojet kit and White Brothers E-Series exhaust is the best sounding bike I've ever heard in my life! Definitely the epitomy sound of a thumper! :D:):p:D

You have to replace filter with a high flow dual stage and jet to add a good pipe and run properly. I am saving some beans to do this myself. Gonna get the jet/dyno kit from BajaDesigns and leaning towards a FMF Q model or Big Gun Quiet to be able to ride anywhere in Ca and not be stopped by 96db park ranger limits.

Do the pipe, jet and filter all at the same time. You'll be happy you did. :) if not Jet FIRST.

I've never noticed there were 2 versions of the MT21- one may be softer than the other.

Dave

It looks like the P and R models are rated at different speeds. One of them is for like 106mph and the other is like 93mph. They are the same price, so I'm not sure what the advantage is for the lower speed rated tire.

What size do I want for my XR650L?