Which FMF Pipe?

Without going into too much detail, I've got a connection for a 40% off deal on ANY of the FMF mufflers and/or header pipes ? . So tell me, what should I get? My only criteria are that it not be obnoxiously loud as I ride in California a lot, and that it doesn't sacrifice the bike's low end. Also, I ride lots of wooded, mountainous areas between 4000' and 7000' ASL if that has any effect on the decision. I'm initially thinking a Powercore 4 w/ Quiet insert and a Powerbomb. Steer me in the right direction kids...SC

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've got connections go new school with the stainless power bomb (not Ti for off road) and the new Q2 (aluminum). This is supposed to be a light combo and the most modern. The old PC IV Q had a weird mounting to it.

I have been looking at the SX power bomb for the low end bump and the Q2.

I'm a little slow to move on the Q2 because I race and trail ride. I want the quiet for trails but I would like to open up the exhaust so I can get the HP for racing. I'm not sure how adjustable to end pipe is on the Q2.

If I had 40% off I'd go for the Titanium Q2. Dropping weight that is mounted high above the center of rotational mass is a double benefit.

another vote for the new ti Q2,what the heck? yo,math. the powercore 4 SA/powerbomb SXwould suit your needs if used with the quiet core insert and the 1 1/2" cap its down to 96 db. or you can change it in a matter of minutes to a rip roarin' 102 db.(or any combo in between 3-cap choices) and i do mean rip and roar ?

I have a stainless Q and Powerbomb SX on order, I'll let you know how it turns out. I like to wait on new technology and see how it shakes out. The "old" Q is proven and with the new one coming out, I expect to see some good deals, though 40% off is hard to beat! My 426 has way more power than I can use so any reduction in top end won't be noticed.

Thanks for your help kids. I just spoke with FMF and they convinced me to go with the Q2. I'm going to wait on a header until the MegaBomb is released along with a heatshield. The Q2 is listing for around $380, so I should be able to grab it for around $225 or so. I thought about going with the titanium, but it sounds like they've even made improvements over it with this new version. Thanks again...SC

Man I'm getting confused; what is a Q2? Looking at FMF's site there is "Q" an "TI_Q" -- don't see a Q2.

Also, was thinking about the powerbomb header; not sure why, just sounded good -- more power, etc., correct? Now I hear (on this thread) that a megabomb is coming, so I guess I'll wait.

I was going to get the E2; it the Q2 better? If so, why? Is is adjustable like the E2? -- and where can you get it?

Thanks,

Elton

My understanding is that the new series quiet muffler replaces the FMF PC IV Q which most all noise conscious (Sp?) WR owners had to have as really about the only option < 96 db option.

The versions that are the replacement: The FMF Ti Q or Q2

From what I have read and seen (limited on both) they are the same other than the wrappers and mid pipe, thus the Ti Q is lighter (Ti wrapper and mid pipe) than the aluminum Q2 (aluminum wrapper and SS mid pipe). Both apparently have Ti endcaps and share the same new shape, internal baffeling, design, and mounting.

Hope this helps.

elton,

I'm in the same place as you.

I am thinking about either the E2 or the Q2.

The E2 looks like its more adjustable as far as the exhaust openings.

The Q2 looks riveted and doesn't look like it comes apart as easily.

Then there's the quiet Big Gun. It got a good report from the ATV crowd during a pipe shoot out.

Hey mountainman,

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has the PowerCore for about $250. I'm leaning...

No one ever lists the weight which is another tidbit to consider.

Is there a noticable difference in weight??

Look at the power of suggestion you have! ?

My understanding is that the new series quiet muffler replaces the FMF PC IV Q which most all noise conscious (Sp?) WR owners had to have as really about the only option < 96 db option.

The versions that are the replacement: The FMF Ti Q or Q2

From what I have read and seen (limited on both) they are the same other than the wrappers and mid pipe, thus the Ti Q is lighter (Ti wrapper and mid pipe) than the aluminum Q2 (aluminum wrapper and SS mid pipe). Both apparently have Ti endcaps and share the same new shape, internal baffeling, design, and mounting.

Hope this helps.

They only show a "Q" and a "TI_Q" on the fmf site; which one is the Q2?

https://www.fmfracing.com/products/catalog.aspx?CategoryID=31

Elton

Hey mountainman,

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has the PowerCore for about $250. I'm leaning...

No one ever lists the weight which is another tidbit to consider.

Is there a noticable difference in weight??

Look at the power of suggestion you have! ?

i have weighed both stock (0n 04) is just shy of 10 lbs,Q is just over 8, pcore 4 is just over 5. the power diff between them by far goes to the pcore,even when the pcore has the insert in it blows the Q away! ? its not a hard decision

I dont know aaboutthe megabomb but I can tell you that the powerbomb is best I ever did for my bike. I've ridden the yosh pipe on the same year bike as mine 04wr450 and t wasn't nearly as snappy. I have the stainless steel powerbob and the powercore4 muffler.