Water pump seal

This thing is leaking again. All my radiator coolant is gone and my transmission oil is completely white. It has to be my water pump seal right? I brought it to be fixed and next time I changed my oil it got even more white! So now I am just going to do it myself. Do you guys have any experience doing this? If anyone has any information that would be great. Thanks...

It doesn't have to be the head gasket. This happened on my 450 before, turned out the water pump seal and/or oil seal which is right behind the water pump seal and water pump impeller shaft had to be replaced and it was fine from then on. I'm not sure which one it was, I just replaced it all in one shot while it was open...

Make sure you grease up those seals so you don't start it up dry and clap the seals out if you change them...

Yea, last time I had the guy do the water pump and oil seals. So, can it be the head gasket? I'm not sure what to do now. Also, if I do the water pump seal so I need to take the whole case cover off? Can I just take the water pump cover off? One more question before you guys shoot me, how exactly do you get the impeller off, what I mean is, how can I loosen it off without turning the motor? Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it.

For it to get into the oil both seals would have to be bad and the weep hole would also have to be plugged.

The only other way would be the o-ring thats behind the inner cover.

Isn't the weep hole the spot where you check for the right amount of transmission oil? Hey, since you seem to know alot about this and you live in CT, I would pay you to do it!

No, Thats just a check bolt for tranny oil... The weep hole is a small hole below the waterpump, underneath. If it is the water seal/oil seal then the following will apply to ya... I just did my bike with my friend (bearing, shaft, gaskets, both seals) and it cost me $66 from service honda including shipping. Fairly simple fix if your somewhat mechanically inclined i think.... I think if you do the oil seal the right side crank cover has to come off, be sure to order the gasket for it. Also, you may want to replace the seal around the kickstart shaft while your in there. Good luck, Hope this helps ?

P.S. To get the impeller off, I put the bike in gear and held the tire while he loosened/tightened it. Or you can pop the r. brake pedal back on and hold that down ... It may be intimidating now, but once you do it/see it done its cake...

I'd be glad to help you out free of charge.

Are you getting any coolant out the weep hole?

I still don't think it's the water pump seals but will be happy to change it for you.

To change both seals you need to pull the inner cover off. If you do try to take the impeller off it's a left hand thread. Just step on the brake pedal while it's in gear.

If you order parts get #1&10 in addition to the seals and gaskets.

right%20crankcase%20cover.jpg

How many hours do you have on the bike? If you have quite a few replace everything (bearing, seals and shaft).

The oil that came out of my bike was more metallic colored than anything, like a dark black / silver / white mix. My bike was leaking from the weep hole, thats why I did mine. (I know you not asking me TJ, but Im not sure the hours on my bike as I bought it used from a stranger with no hr. meter) but he estimates 20 hours. "Sure Buddy".... Anyway, I would say 30-40 hours on the bike.... Replaced everything in one shot so I dont have to f with it again (knock on wood)... Later,

Pete

I'd be glad to help you out free of charge.

Are you getting any coolant out the weep hole?

I still don't think it's the water pump seals but will be happy to change it for you.

To change both seals you need to pull the inner cover off. If you do try to take the impeller off it's a left hand thread. Just step on the brake pedal while it's in gear.

If you order parts get #1&10 in addition to the seals and gaskets.

How many hours do you have on the bike? If you have quite a few replace everything (bearing, seals and shaft).

Wow, thanks man. Both of you said it would be coming out the weep hole, and I haven't seen anything come out, and there aren't any signs of it. I'm sure its the coolant because when the coolant was changed to engine ice, the oil became even more white, and the coolant was changed when I had the seals fixed. Since the seals did not change anything, you guys are probably right when you say it is the head gasket. Where is this found? Thanks alot guys I love this website and all the help I get off it.

BTW, I have atleast 150 hours on this bike.

Oh well that is going to be fun to replace. SO I'll need to take the whole valve train, and cylinders off? I'll definetly mess something up. If you come up with a price I'd be glad to pay you to do it. Maybe I'll help you so I can learn something. By the way, you are going on that Thomastin Dam ride, right?

Oh well that is going to be fun to replace. SO I'll need to take the whole valve train, and cylinders off? I'll definetly mess something up. If you come up with a price I'd be glad to pay you to do it. Maybe I'll help you so I can learn something. By the way, you are going on that Thomastin Dam ride, right?

Just the head has to come off, not the cylinder. You bring it here and I'll fix it for free and you can help. That way you'll learn, it's no big deal.

The 450 is a little different. The 250 manual is actually pretty good. It's basically the same procedure as shimming the valves except you have to remove subframe, disconnect the carb, drain the coolant, remove header.

Make sure everything is spotless under the tank so no dirt drops into the motor when you take the valve cover off.

Thankfully all that stuff is off right now. The bike is basically completely dismantled so it shouldn't be a problem. So I have to disconect the came chain, is this hard? That is my biggest worry right now, the piston will be exposed right? With my luck I will somehow not be able to get the freaking piston back into the cylinder and I'll mess something up but I'm going to go for it. I'll stop down at my local dealer as soon as I can, I won't need any other gaskets will I?

Upon further review I've come to the conclusion that it's not the head gasket. You would get coolant into the engine oil, not trans.

I talked with my friend who is the best Honda mechanic around this A.M. and he figured it's the collar and o-ring that goes on the right side case. #1 & 10.

There's no other way for coolant to get in there.

Whoever replaced your seals may have put it back together wrong and they crushed the aluminum tube or didn't put the o-ring back in.