Grease Maintanence on YZ's

goosedog,

I waited until winter the year after I got mine and wished I hadn't!! Their was some scoring on the swingarm bolt that connects the swingarm to the frame. It had almost no grease on it at all. I cleaned off the scoring with some sandpaper and it was good as new but I wished I had torn her down earlier, especially since I couldn't ride it for 3-4 months after I bought it because of the Wisconsin winters! You should get the Storm Linkage to throw on since you will be working in that area anyways, I think it helps your bike turn much better.

Pulled my '04 450 apart after about 4 months (everyone's advice) and found the factory grease to be perfectly adequate. Pulled it apart at one year, and STILL looked great. Having said that, it doesn't hurt to repack with good quality aftermarket stuff. I suspect being here in the desert is easier than riding where there is a lot of mud and grit. One thing to remember is to absolutely clean out ALL of the old grease, the replacement grease may not be compatible with the OEM stuff, and that will definitely trash the bearings....turns the lube to a runny paste...been there, done that...

I had been asking myself the same questions after my last few rides included alot of water crossings. I had to take my bike down to Palo Verde Suspension for some fork work and he's going to pull apart the shock and swing arm assemblies and inspect and lube. $55 is totally worth it to me! The time and learning curve to getting that all apart right now is totally worth it.... and the peice of mind! ?