Wr426... What Was Best Year

I Am Fixing To Buy A "newto Me" Bike Mainly For The Hare Scramble Scene. I Am Pretty Well Set On Getting A Wr426 For Now. What I Would Like To Know Is What Year 01,02 Or 03, Would I Likely To Have The Least Problems With???????? I Plan On Jetting, Gray Wire, Airbox Mods, All The Regular Stuff To Get The Max Performance, But As Far As Suspention. Rear Swing Arm, Front Forks, And So On.... Is There Any One Year I "should" Get Or "stay Away" From??????i Leave It In The Hands Of The Experts......thanks Guys

Hi! In 2001 and 2002 the displacement was 426. In 2003, yamaha raised the bar to 450. 2003 was the first year of the electric starter. The 2003 has had some quite serious problems (woodruff key) that were solved on the 2004 models.

I personally have ridden many 01 and 02 426 and keep contact with guys who own them and I can say they are very reliable. Those 426 are simply great!

If you go with a 450, I'd try to avoid the 03 and find a 04.

Best of luck. ?

WRs have a mechanicly driven Odometer on the right side of the front wheel.

Every one I have seen that has lots of miles on it has seized. 01 and earlier you can replace the ODo drive with a YZ spacer. In 02 they went to a larger dia. drive and this is not possible.

Later,

Eric

Hi! In 2001 and 2002 the displacement was 426. In 2003, yamaha raised the bar to 450. 2003 was the first year of the electric starter. The 2003 has had some quite serious problems (woodruff key) that were solved on the 2004 models.

I personally have ridden many 01 and 02 426 and keep contact with guys who own them and I can say they are very reliable. Those 426 are simply great!

If you go with a 450, I'd try to avoid the 03 and find a 04.

Best of luck. ?

What he said...My '02 performs great and is mechanically sound. I have raced it in two hare scrambles last year. Both races averaged 35-45 per loop (two loops a race). Saw the checkers first both times. ?

I was considering a new '05 CRF450X but I purchased new plastics and stickers for my WR instead. Let's see; $8K for a new dirt bike, or $177 for new plastics and stickers. ?

What he said...My '02 performs great and is mechanically sound. I have raced it in two hare scrambles last year. Both races averaged 35-45 per loop (two loops a race). Saw the checkers first both times. ?

I was considering a new '05 CRF450X but I purchased new plastics and stickers for my WR instead. Let's see; $8K for a new dirt bike, or $177 for new plastics and stickers. ?

Where did you find new plastic and stickers for the 02' WR426????!!!!

All Ive found is YZ plastic/stickers. The YZ side panels I have are slowly melting b/c its touching the pipe.