sputter and surge after JD Kit and Zip-Ty

the 03 had a bad needle in it,for 04 it was redesigned and to tell the truth works dang near to perfect(even with the TPS connected,which does reduce predetonation immensly). i've heard this complaint about the JD kit too many times to keep track of ! i've ridden a 03 wr450 with the JD needle and complained about the same thing. the 05 needle is unadjustable and probly different taper also. the 04 needle fits the 05's(and is adjustable) i know because 'dan lorenze' has one in his 05 and i've yet to see him complain with this issue. try the 04 needle;04 good. probly not that much$ either :) dan probly has the part #,how'bout it dan?

'04 needle part # 5TJ-14916-WR-00

$8.68

Elton, Sorry for not getting back to you on the TPS, I don't know why so many of these guys are afraid to unplug it. On the left side of your carb. is a black wire coming out of a peice of black plastic, about four inchs back behind the frame it connects into a plug, just pull the connection apart right there. Now take it for a ride, make sure it warmed up for a least 15 minutes. if you don't like it you just plug it back in, no harm done. Frostbite says how his runs fine with it plugged in then says how bad it surges at low speed, huh? Do a search on my posts, I also run a JD jet kit, I closed off the Air Cut Valve and Unplugged the TPS, Absolutly no hesitation, no surge, no sputter at any throttle position, totally smooth. thats on an 03 WR450 at 4,500 ft. This is what JD from JD Jetting suggested and it worked for my bike.

Elton, Sorry for not getting back to you on the TPS, I don't know why so many of these guys are afraid to unplug it. On the left side of your carb. is a black wire coming out of a peice of black plastic, about four inchs back behind the frame it connects into a plug, just pull the connection apart right there. Now take it for a ride, make sure it warmed up for a least 15 minutes. if you don't like it you just plug it back in, no harm done. Frostbite says how his runs fine with it plugged in then says how bad it surges at low speed, huh? Do a search on my posts, I also run a JD jet kit, I closed off the Air Cut Valve and Unplugged the TPS, Absolutly no hesitation, no surge, no sputter at any throttle position, totally smooth. thats on an 03 WR450 at 4,500 ft. This is what JD from JD Jetting suggested and it worked for my bike.

i unplugged the the TPS on a hot day with the bike near to overheating just to see if actually did anything. well after unplugging i noticed alot of pinging in the motor under load at low rpm (especially uphill) plugged it back in and it no longer did that. maybe under normal circumstances you wouldn't notice,but in severe conditions it definately works. the TPS is also adjustable and the directions are in the manual. frostbites post also states it didn't start surging until the install of the JD kit. :)

Frostbite says how his runs fine with it plugged in then says how bad it surges at low speed, huh?

I actually said that it ran fine since new with the TPS and just started surging after a few engine mods, including the JD kit.

If you're saying that everybody should unplug the TPS I disagree, if you're saying that installing the JD needle and a couple of different jets throws the TPS out of whack - I don't know, you may be right.

I find that the TPS control circuit creates sputtering when your jetting is slightly rich. With good jetting the TPS effect at constant speed is less noticeable. But the TPS does cause the constant speed/throttle issue everyone talks about.

hey dan,yours is disconnected isn't it?

No I leave mine on. It runs better in nasy hill climbs and rocks at low rpms with full throttle. :)

the only connection with this surging i can see is the JD needle(i've had mine very rich before and never surged),if you have to disable something that is obviously beneficial (to use the JD needle)than one might seek an alternative route(a smart one might).maybe say.......i dun'know a 04 needle for example :)

But the TPS does cause the constant speed/throttle issue everyone talks about.

my experience as well. discoed here and no pinging, etc. perhaps i need to try a little leaner jetting per indy, but my '04 runs much better TPS disabled. altitude is usually 1000 - 3000ft. ASL.

well i must be blessed or sumthin' :) funny when things go right its usually not on my end. i'll bet the people having trouble with the TPS is because its not adjusted correctly. :)

After putting in the JD kit my bike sputters, spits and backfires real bad :)

I know mine is too rich because the dummies at the bike shop put in my kit and put in a 175 main w/ blue needle #4. Just rode yesterday and the 1/4-1/2 throttle is awful. It sputters real bad when cruising at a constant throttle. I am going to try the red #4 with a 165 main to see if gets any better. This backfiring is w/o the AIS too :)

i'll bet the people having trouble with the TPS is because its not adjusted correctly. :)

roger that nc. the wife and i just bought a house, so i get a garage back in april. will break the tools out of storage :) including multimeter, and get it set up right then.

Why did Yamaha install the TPS; what "good" is it supposed to do? Any downside to disconnecting it?

Elton

After putting in the JD kit my bike sputters, spits and backfires real bad :)

I know mine is too rich because the dummies at the bike shop put in my kit and put in a 175 main w/ blue needle #4. Just rode yesterday and the 1/4-1/2 throttle is awful. It sputters real bad when cruising at a constant throttle. I am going to try the red #4 with a 165 main to see if gets any better. This backfiring is w/o the AIS too :)

Exactly my situation. My 05 had a "165S" stock -- I'm thinking about going back to stock as it was running perfect. The only reason I've not done it yet is that I thought my 3rd party exhaust would arrive and make the 175/blue run as it should per JD's instructions.

Elton

Why did Yamaha install the TPS; what "good" is it supposed to do? Any downside to disconnecting it?

Elton

it has something to do with retarding the timing under load at low rpms(me thinks)

The only reason I've not done it yet is that I thought my 3rd party exhaust would arrive and make the 175/blue run as it should per JD's instructions.

Elton

I have the E2 exhaust and it runs like shi****t! :)

I haven't read this whole thread, but I have had no problems with my 05 needle, I just changed it a couple of rides ago with the 04 spec and I can't tell the difference. I bought it just because of its adjustably for different altitudes, I'm running an 04 needle in the 3rd pos.

I do run my bike with the TPS plugged in.. I'm going riding on Friday, I'll unplug it and post my results.

My most recent mod is a MSR fuel screw. I'm pretty sure someone manufactures them for all the big retailers like Ty and MSR. At any rate, I did notice that if you don't install the correctly you could have some problems.

Elton, make sure that you installed the fuel screw correctly, the three parts are a must-Fuel screw,spring and o-ring.... Make sure the 0-ring is making it to the top of the hole area. I've tested my fuel screw anywhere from 1 to 3 turns out, I can't tell a difference in my garage.. I'll have better results after this weekend..

JD makes a great product that makes it easy to jet a bike, I personally like to do it myself and test the changes that I've made. With the correct combination of jetting specs the bike should have no problems running at 100 % with the stuff you buy OTC at your local Yamaha retailer.

Dan

I'm running an 04 needle in the 3rd pos.

Dan,

I'm probably way off but I think you ought to try the 4th pos.

I'm using an '04 needle and the clip position on the '05 needle lined up exactly with the 4th position on the '04. With the exhaust insert removed and the airbox opened up it runs perfectly. With a 48 pilot, 70 starter, 168 main and '04 needle 4th pos., it starts right up and runs strong and smooth. I never could get it to run just right with the JD kit and sold the kit to a friend.

Dan,

'04 needle 4th pos.,

thats where mine is and all i have to do is go back and forth 48/170 in 50 to 80 deg and 45/168 summer over 80 deg(1800-4,000+ft) the in between can be adjusted with the screw.