Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SD_CRFX

WR 450 vs. KTM 450 EXC

14 posts in this topic

So, here's the dilemma...

I'm really caught at a stalemate here between the WR 450 and the KTM 450 EXC. It's time for me to get another bike, and I feel as though it's time to step up to the 450. I came off of a CRF 250X (loved it)...great handling, great performance for what it is, great all around ride...stolen = insurance = time to buy a new one. I ride a combination of tight, technical trails (CRFX rocked) and wide-open teeth-grindin' fast desert (CRFX isn't in it's "happy place" in fast transport sections). I have a tremendous amount of respect for everyone here and I'm completely confident that your opinions will help me.

Here's what I look for:

*Green Sticker- No probs here (both '05 WR and KTM) are green in Kalifornistan

*Price vs. product- I can get a killer deal on a WR here in town, so it could easily cost me an extra $1000 to get the KTM. I'm just stuck on whether or not it's worth it (I'm inclined to think it is) The KTM comes with a bunch of high-quality parts, which would translate into less money spent later on after market modification (exhaust/etc).

*"Race" readiness- The less amount of work it takes to make the thing rock, the better. I don't mind having to cut holes in air boxes/etc, it's just not something I have a great time doing. Obviously I would think that the KTM wins here in stock form, so what does it take to get the WR up to speed, so to speak?

*Maintenance/Reliability- I'd love something that I will be able to keep for a long time. I don't mind doing the occasional valve check/adjust, but having to pull the head off and re-shim(CRF) after every ride is ridiculous. 'Nuff said.

*Performance- What is the top speed on the WR vs. KTM? Albeit, it's not super important, but I was just wondering if there was a huge difference (KTM has 6-speed vs 5-speed). Skill has a lot to do with how fast you can go (learned on the 250) but I'd like to be able to play with the big kids (chug fast along) without having an engine that feels like it's going to blow up.

*Suspension- I don't think I could do better than the CRFX with suspension, but if either does better, I'd be open ears.

***That's about it, once again, I appreciate the help.

~Cheers,

Jeff

Get the one you want. It sounds like you like the KTM more and I agree with you. The machines are of such high quality and the suspension is very good. The valves are easily adjusted by removing the inspection covers. They are just good all around do anything machines that will not disapoint. You can remove the rear shock in about three minutes, replace the spring in about 5, the front forks are easy to maintain. Good machines.

I'm in transition until I can get a KTM 250SXF.

None of these bikes handle like the CRF250X. You might want to wait and get the CRF450X when it comes out in a couple of months. The KTM is better handling in tight woods over our WR450's. We got a torquier motor. KTM has many standard goodies like you say. The WR is more steady at high speed desert riding and rock bashing. :)

Hey Jeff,

I had the same problem last week, but I am picking up my '05 wr450 this afternoon. The ktm seems very similar to the bike I've been riding the last year and a 1/2, a Husaberg fe501e. I kind of like working on my bikes so the mods needed on the wr seem a good trade for the green sticker. I am surprised that Indy_wr450 felt the ktm would be better in tight woods than the wr, thou I can see his point regarding the motor, I think the rake of the wr will make it quicker handling in the tight stuff vs. the ktm.

I also think the suspension of the wr is a bit more advanced than the wp

of the ktm (also shared by Husaberg). In the end nmnbb01 hit the nail on the head with "get the one you want" , thats what I did and if I was wrong I'll

still have the berg to fall back on.

Good luck with your decision.

Phil

Be sure to price the KTM from www.ktmtalk.com..use the "get a quote" feature, I know of several people that have purchased bikes this way without any problems. I priced a 05 300EXC from ktmtalk and the lowest price was around $5700, which is a much better deal than my local dealer would give me. I would imagine the 4-strokes are higher priced, but check it out before you buy.

I dont know bout anyone else but my dad gets headshake at 4th and ^ in sandy conditions. Overall both great bikes

I'll add just a small bit of info to this thread. And this is just my experience over the last year. I ride with a few KTM's and from what I've seen personally, the Yamaha seems to have fewer problems. The KTM is definately faster right out of the crate. As far as top speed goes with the stock gearing, I'm topping out at around 82 mph and that is measured with my little GPS on the handle bars. I think the bike will go faster with different gearing, but not with me on it! :)

DD

I know it sux but wait for honda 05 450 then make your choice

The '05 450X MSRP's at $7199. For just a hundred bucks more, you could ride a KTM? That would make my decision right there between the two. Second, the CRFX line is great, but I'm not going to buy into first-year model reliability issues again.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's a great help...keep 'em comin'

~Cheers

In SD CRFX's starting post he commented about riding in tight single track trails. How will the '05 WR compare to the KTM, will the weight difference be felt? Will the WR be able to turn as tight as the KTM? I'm in the same boat as SD CRFX, I'm wanting an '05 WR 450 but I'm hesitant because of the bad rap the '04 and older bikes received because of the weight and they are reported to be top heavy. It seems like the '05 has those issues resolved, do they?

I have a 05 WR450, coming off of a 2001 YZ250F that I bought new, and I was comfortable on the WR after about 30 minutes of riding. I only weigh 150lbs and it really does not feel that heavy to me. The power is great after the simple free mods are done and it is jetted properly. I love it. I had the same delima about the KTM before I purchased my WR. Actually went to the dealer to put money down and there was some confusion on the final price of the bike with the dealer. I got :) and walked. Best decision I ever made

(Personal Opinion)

They are both great choices. They both will need handguards, rad guards , and a bash plate before any serious offroad chores, and of course you need to uncork the WR.

It really comes down to what you want the bike for... desert riding the WR gets the nod, for woods it's the KTM. If you're going to dualsport it, the KTM is better since it has 6 speeds and a complete wiring harness (just needs some stock turnsignals and such from KTM). The WR is way easier to change oil/filters on, and never seems to need a valve adjustment.

The only sensible thing to do is to buy them both! :)

In SD CRFX's starting post he commented about riding in tight single track trails. How will the '05 WR compare to the KTM, will the weight difference be felt? Will the WR be able to turn as tight as the KTM? I'm in the same boat as SD CRFX, I'm wanting an '05 WR 450 but I'm hesitant because of the bad rap the '04 and older bikes received because of the weight and they are reported to be top heavy. It seems like the '05 has those issues resolved, do they?

Me 04, mate 05,his not so top heavy, but no big deal it just depends on how much fuel you want to carry 8.5 litres :)

Mine has heaps more power and even he says that and yes he has done all the mods, I've put on bigger bars and they're higher, don't notice it being top heavy anymore but i'm 120 kgs and have no problems manhandling the bike :)