HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
socal_250f_racer

Is the 450 really that far behind?

23 posts in this topic

I am not sure why the 450 places so badly in the shootouts. Is it that far behind the rest of the models. The 250f is still placing high in the shootouts and the 450 is its brother. Does the extra amount of weight make that big of a difference in handling, because thats where it seems to do the worse. I just dont understand how a rider can go from saying that the 250f is number 1-2 in the class to saying the 450 is almost last. Or is it that the competition in the 450 class is much more advance than in the 250f class? Would an aluminum frame for the Suzuki and the introduction of the KTM put the Yamaha 250F back in the pack also?

The only mag you have to pay attention to as far as shootouts go is Motocross Action. Those guys know how to test a bike, and they race them every single weekend of the year, rain or shine. For 2005, the YZ450F placed a close second to the CRF450R because the CRF handles really well and has a more managable powerband.

The 250F is getting top spot like always because its been around the longest (5 years), while all the other 250 four-strokes have been around two years and are still working the bugs out of their defective engines. Yamaha 's are bulletproof and fast no matter what you get so you wont be dissapointed with the purchase of one. The YZ250F will never be in the "back of the pack" it is the class leader and always will be because it has a three year advanatge on the rest of the field.

For 2005, Yamaha concentrated more on the two-strokes because they were dying and Yamaha wanted to help bring them back. The YZ125 and the YZ250 are the best two-strokes of their classes. In 2006, look for Yamaha to bring in an all-new YZF line. Dont worry dude, the 450F will be back on top in '06.

Doug

I cant believe some people seriously think magazine's are on the payroll of certain companies. Its all about the editors. Some know what they're talking about, and others have no clue. Some race, some dont. You have to scope out the good guys. MXA is NOT a bias mag.

And why would Honda riders hate MXA? They ranked the CRF450R first in the shootout this year right in front of the YZ450F. Why? Because they know what they're talking about. Which quite obviously, you dont.

Doug

Their usual gripe is the "old school" frame and cite both of the YZF's for a top-heavy feel, tendencies to sit up in turns and the front-end tends to push. Has anyone tried the Storm replacement linkage? They claim that by adding 1/2 degree of head angle with their product, the 450F will turn more precisely, lean over easier, stay in ruts better and let you get on the gas sooner without the front-end pushing. Any info?

Their usual gripe is the "old school" frame...

It's funny, I was reading an interview with RC in MXA and he said one of the things he likes about the Suzuki is the steel frame. Apparently he doesn't share the magazines opinion on aluminum frames. Another thing I find funny is the RM 250 is considered one of, if not the best 250 smoker out there, yet it has an "old school" frame. :)

Honda spent years (from '97 till 200?) trying to get the aluminum frame to be as good as the '96 steel frame. Is this what we are seeing now with Chad Reed on the 2005 YZ? Or is RC just faster? RC does look faster on his "old school" steel 2 smoker than he did on his CRF. Maybe aluminum is just for beer cans?

with a little $$$$$$$, every bike can be a Winner!!!!!!!!!

It's still all rider..............

I've spent $$$$$ during the first 3 months of ownership trying to tame this beast, dialing susp, lower ride height, now my rides equal to all other machines.........

All Rags, equate the best bike to be what is BEST from a stock purchase.

Quote From Ping

"Finishing fourth is the Yamaha. The YZF has a great engine. The brakes and components on the bike are excellent. But the Yamaha has a suspension and/or chassis issue; it’s the hardest bike to turn. It has to be forced over in a turn, and oftentimes it will stand up in a rut. The forks come to a sudden stop at the bottom of the stroke, giving the front end a very harsh feel and the rear end, while not terrible, is slightly busy compared to the other bikes. The rear end of the bike is also tall and wide. The seat hit my butt every time I hit a big braking bump or kicker coming into a turn or off a jump. I would suggest, unless you are very tall, lowering the subframe and re-valving the suspension. That would put this bike right back in the mix. "

Buy what you want, set it yp for your personal specs and GO RIDE!!!!!!!!

If you read the MXA writeups, you'll find that they prefer the YZF's handling characteristics. They specifically cite the bike's stability, steering precision, and ability to stay on a line in turns. Conversely, they ding Honda for the lack of those same traits, and rate it highly on the basis of its suspension and overall light feel. It's just a feel, too, as the two bikes are only 1 1/2 pounds apart. The same suspension geometry differences that make them handle differently make the YZF feel harder to turn. The high CG of the YZF is mostly because it really is higher by just over an inch, ground clearance and saddle height, not because it's a dry sump or a DOHC.

If you find your YZ450 pushing the front, you're cornering with the bike too upright. Stick the inside grip down closer to the ground and it will track much better.

For 2005, Yamaha concentrated more on the two-strokes because they were dying and Yamaha wanted to help bring them back. The YZ125 and the YZ250 are the best two-strokes of their classes. In 2006, look for Yamaha to bring in an all-new YZF line. Dont worry dude, the 450F will be back on top in '06.

Doug

kawi will win the shootout in every mag in its first year guaranteed!!!! :p:D:D:o

p.s doesnt really matter pick a color and go :):)

kawi will win the shootout in every mag in its first year guaranteed!!!! :p:D:D:o

p.s doesnt really matter pick a color and go :):)

Not joking, thats the dumbest post I've ever seen on TT.

Doug

Not joking, thats the dumbest post I've ever seen on TT.

Doug

i'm glad you liked that one, i was shooting for dumbest post ever not just on tt. just about as dumb as all these f***ing comparisons pick a color and ride. i rode the yamaha its not that bad !

you guys are about crazy when it comes to this comparison over which bike is better.. its all in the rider as to which bike is faster and handles better and what not.. basically he is right, pick a color and ride.. you learn how to ride your bike. I've never felt a bike other than my own handled as good as mine and thats because I've adapted to my bike and if it was yellow or green or red it would make no difference. up until just a couple years ago i rode a 78 dt 125 and my friend has a 2001 kx 125 and i could waste him around the track on my old enduro because i had been riding it for about 5 years and i knew how to ride it.

So what would the testers say when I show up on my heavy outdated YZ426 and smoke them all because that is byfar the best 4 banger ever made!?!?

The reason why Yamaha finished last in the shootout was because of nit picky little details, doesnt corner as nice as or the susp was off compared to or motor was a little tame compared to, the bikes today are so close in comparisn that you can win on anyone, go back 10 yrs and see if the shootouts were as close, you would buy the best bike in the class or you finished 2nd,not anymore...Just give up on the comparisins and buy the bike that fits you and makes you get a woody and have fun with it!!

So what would the testers say when I show up on my heavy outdated YZ426 and smoke them all because that is byfar the best 4 banger ever made!?!?

Your 426 has a four-cylinder? Whoa! :)

FYI, a "4 Banger" is not a four-stroke, but a four-cylinder.

Doug

Your 426 has a four-cylinder? Whoa! :)

FYI, a "4 Banger" is not a four-stroke, but a four-cylinder.

Doug

Yup 4cyl 250 hp yz 1426 best bike going!! :p Sorry but we call a 4 strk a 4banger out here,sorry for my lingo confusion, I am sure a edjumicated guy like you figured it out though :)

These guys are just like anyone else. It is hard to get excited about a bike that looks so similar to what has been offered for the past 3 years. Having said that, the ONLY bike worth owning in the 450 group is the Yamaha.

In my mind, it is the only bike that will stay together for a reasonable time. I dont know if I would be able to earn enough money to keep a Honda running. I have seen too many posts about 2500.00 dollar engine failures.

This subject just cracks me up. Everybody says that MXA is bias. When the Honda truly got better than the Yamaha they said so. Same with the Suzuki 250. I have a hard time with dirt rider tests because they try to provide you with all kinds of info but cannot gel it together for a cohesive story. They put bikes down for things that a serious rider is going to change for personal preference also. They say that the Honda is the fastest then they show a graph that says the YZ was he quickest in all the accelaration tests. They talk about the great dual oil systems on the other bikes and begrudgingly admit that the Yamahas are the most reliable. In the same issue they contradict everything they say about the YZ in the WR article. MXA has always given the straight scoop on bikes and then they usually follow up with articles on what you can do to improve each model and what you can do to fix any problems. The best part of all this is that I was able to buy my YZ dirt cheap this year. I have had three of these bikes and I know exactly how to set it up for me. I cannot wait to go out and tear it up on my 2005 and have people ask me how the heck I can ride "that thing" LOL!.

Honda spent years (from '97 till 200?) trying to get the aluminum frame to be as good as the '96 steel frame. Is this what we are seeing now with Chad Reed on the 2005 YZ? Or is RC just faster? RC does look faster on his "old school" steel 2 smoker than he did on his CRF. Maybe aluminum is just for beer cans?

Just to update....yes RC is faster BUT Chad won last night......so frame's are not the issue at their level :)

Yamaha has been developing aluminum frames for motocross since the 80's. Does anyone remember many of the European works bikes that had aluminum frames years ago. They also were the first ones to develop the twin spar box design that Honda and Suzuki both use on their 450's back on their roadrace bikes in the mid 80's. That is why I found it kind of odd that Yamaha came out with a more "conventional" aluminum frame. I don't think Yamaha will have the trouble with there aluminum frame that Honda had.