Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hayden

Clear up a ? about Valve Adj '94' L

8 posts in this topic

Ok I have read all I can about this. I opened her up and took a look and I have a question. the book says to stick the feeler guage between the adjuster screw and the valve stem. Well there is an arm that comes out and sets between the adjuster screw and the valve stem. So do I check the clearance between the stem and the arm or the arm and the Adjuster screw??

Hayden

1994 L

The arm you are referring to is the rocker arm I'm assuming. The adjuster screw threads thru that and pushes on the valve stem. The clearance you are checking is between the adjusting screw and the valve stem.

Its not the rocker arm. There is another arm that comes in at a right angle to the rocker arm. This arm is sledge hammer shaped and takes up about a 1/4 of an inch of space between the adjuster screw and the valve stem. This is on the intake. The exhaust is about the same way. Looks to be real tought to get under the arm to check clearance between arm and stem on the exhaust (If that is the way to check it?? )

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0321/camshaft/camshaft.cfm?man=ho&groupid=14780&parent=14770

If you go to the link, the parts Im talking about are #17, 18 and 19.

Just adjusted my valves the other day and all you have to do is stick the right size feeler guage in between the gap and if it has a little drag when you pull it out it is where it should be. Also the next bigger size feeler guage should not fit and the smaller size should be too small with no drag. Iwish I had pictures to show you exactly where the gap is where you stick the gage in.

Do you guys use the regular straight gauges or the special bent ones?

I helped a buddy check his valves today and I had to manipulate the gauges a little to get them in the exhaust side. Kind of made it harder to get the feel for the right gap?

I have 2 sets of straight feelers so I just put a bend at the end of one set to make checking a little easier.

Hayden

94 L

I have 2 sets of straight feelers so I just put a bend at the end of one set to make checking a little easier.

Hayden

94 L

Thats what we did to ours since ours are the straight ones too. :)

I use the Motion Pro feeler guage thingie. They're bent to the right angle and the smaller size and rigid handle make them much easier to use in the tight confines of that little hole.