shiny flakes in the oil filter

I just changed the oil filter in my new to me 01 wr426 and noticed a small amount of shinny metal flakes, they are non magnetic and very small, is this normal?

I just changed the oil filter in my new to me 01 wr426 and noticed a small amount of shinny metal flakes, they are non magnetic and very small, is this normal?

I have a 99 and I still get metal flakes. They all seem to do it. I'm not exactly sure where the flakes are coming from but somethings gotta be getting smaller in there.

Thats what I thought, as long as they are small and non magnetic I don't think there is anything to worry about. Does any one clean their old oil filters, I have access to a ultrasonic cleaner at work, we use it to clean oil filters for helicopters, I figure if its good enough for choppers, should work on dirtbikes

My theory (IMHO), is that for older, well used bikes, it comes from a deteriorating con-rod big-end bearing. I had flakes (bad) prior to my bigbore/crank rebuild upgrade, and don't any more - ~3000 miles since the upgrade.

I seemed to get less and less ater break in--when I switched to synthetic oil. The amount of flakes each change has become less and less, and is virtually nonexistant now.

~Eric

Funny, my 05 is the first WR of mine not to have any flakes... Nada one.... Weird.. :)

if metal and not magnetic, they are alu particles

so whats alu in the engine and under pressure? sth around clutch maybe, had not had mine open yet :)