Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve W

01 YZ426 Hard starting when cold

5 posts in this topic

My 01 YZ426 is hard to start cold. I have to go through several rounds of kicking it with the choke in and out before it will run steadily. Usually it goes like this: pull choke out, kick a few times,push choke in and it will start, run and stall. Go through this a few more times and it will remain running. (Always starts first kick when hot and runs great otherwise. Have tried starting with no choke when dead cold, but no luck) Thanks.

Try either one or two twists of the throttle before kicking, or kick a couple of times with the decompression lever pulled. Then continue normal cold start (choke) routine.

My 01 YZ426 is hard to start cold. I have to go through several rounds of kicking it with the choke in and out before it will run steadily. Usually it goes like this: pull choke out, kick a few times,push choke in and it will start, run and stall. Go through this a few more times and it will remain running. (Always starts first kick when hot and runs great otherwise. Have tried starting with no choke when dead cold, but no luck) Thanks.

What is the outside Tempature by you right now?? Is it cold outside? Kinda sounds like it. In cold temps it will run lean. Install a larger Starter Jet (Not the pilot jet) It will start easier. What you describes is a lean choke circuit. My YZ400 does he same thing in the winter before I rejet it.

Just turn the fuel screw out (no more than 2.5 turns total) for a richer pilot circuit. Cold temps need slightly richer jetting for starting.

If you go more than 2.5 turns out, then put in a larger PILOT jet. The fuel screw is just a fine adjustment to the pilot circuit where the pilot jet is the coarse adjustment.

Thanks to everyone for advice on cold starting problem. Will try the simple solutions first and if they don't work, move on to the harder ones. As far as temperature goes, I'm guessing 25-45 degrees F. during those times Ive attempted a cold start. Still love the bike either way!

Steve W.