suggested setup for white bros e-series pipe?

This winter I put a White Bros E-series slip-on on my '98 400, anybody have suggestions on the best number of discs I should have in the can and about how many turns on the fuel screw I'll need to set it at to compensate for that new fuel/air mixture? I'm new to the bike and just trying to get a feel for a good starting point (it's running pretty lean right now w/ only 4 discs in, so I've obviously got some tweaking to do!). Just looking for advice on some good settings if anybody out there has the same/similar equipment. Thanks guys!

I have an E-series I picked up on Ebay a while back. I was more interested in having a spark arrestor rather than performance. While it did seem to smooth the power out a bit but I wouldn't say it was a performance upgrade. I tried running it without any disks just to see and I did notice it was a good bit snappier but loud as all hell. So I put all 12 disks on and just ran it that way since I was more worried about losing the ones I wasn't going to be using. I did read on here that some guy did a lot of experimenting and liked using 8 plates. I would rather ride than set and play around with the plates for some magic combination that I don't think will make that much of a difference.

If you are racing, run it wide open...you dont want to restrict the exhaust flow...otherwise run all the plates to reduce the noise...it does run better and there is better throttle response with it in full race mode...I run mine that way in wet conditions and on tracks.

Yeah I think I'm going to put most of them back in because I've only got 4 in now and it's definitely lost some snap. I guess I'm going to need to twist the buhjeesus out of the fuel screw to get enough gas in there because, like I said before, it seems to be running lean (idle hanging, some popping) with only 4 discs in. The fuel screw looks like such a hassle, but I suppose I'd better get used to it. Guess I ought to seriously consider rigging one of those quick adjusters up, eh?

Lets clear up a couple of things. Running "all the plates" won't reduce noise. The fewer the discs the quieter. Also the fewer the discs the richer the mixture. So more discs equals more noise and a leaner mixture. 8-12 discs is a good rough ballpark. Running discs will increase bottom and midrange power as opposed to running none.

Lets clear up a couple of things. Running "all the plates" won't reduce noise. The fewer the discs the quieter. Also the fewer the discs the richer the mixture. So more discs equals more noise and a leaner mixture. 8-12 discs is a good rough ballpark. Running discs will increase bottom and midrange power as opposed to running none.

Exactly, and the reason there is more noise with more disks is due to the fact that the exhaust is seeping out through the disks, almost like having holes in the muffler can. With no disks, it's going straight out the back and not seeping through any disks before it gets there thus it's quieter .

Yo fellas, I understand how the thing works - in general, more discs = more power = more noise = more air flow, hence the amount of fuel needs to be increased in order to prevent the bike from running too lean. Seems like the general consensus is 8-12 discs. I'll probably go with 8 just to make some sort of attempt to keep the noise somewhat below deafening.

So my question then is: knowing I'm gonna put 8 or so discs in (+ the spark arrester endcap), does anybody have a suggestion for a good starting point with the fuel screw? ? Like I said, I'm new to the bike and I haven't even touched the fuel screw yet, so I was hoping to get a ballpark idea of how many turns on the screw would be a good place to start. Since I don't have a zip tye or any other sort of quick adjuster, I'd like to try to get a good idea of starting place so that I don't have to take the carb on and off a thousand times to get it running decent!

I tried 8 and 12, I ended back with all 14. I do not know what jet and main were put in. I would put all 14 and then get the jetts to work with that. It is unbelievably faster than with 8 and 12. The power band is much wider, the most noticable impression. No comparrison. I have the eSeries s bend and header. It is faster off the line than my fiends 426 and 450. We race at Glen Helen.

Thanks for the info everyone. I ended up putting 8 discs in there and just turning the screw til the thing ran decent. I really need to buy/make a quick adjuster, dealing with the trial & error process with that screw really sucked. Anyways seems to be a pretty good setup for riding I did this weekend so looks like I'm good to go for now.