HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
new2fourstrokes

pulls like a truck

18 posts in this topic

2005 wr 450 pulls like a truck but wont rev :) is this normal? all free mods have been done plus have added the JD jet kit and screw. :) hard to explain but here goes... open throttle pulls real hard then nothin it just will not rev.. i might be way off I've ever had 2 strokes but does this sound right?????

Mine revs to the moon :) Change your pipe? What needle and clip? Try raising the needle one clip (down with the clip) if you changed the pipe go up five numbers on the main. :)

How many kms are on your bike ? At what speed (for each gear) will it stop reving ? Is your muffler uncorked?

This may sound dumb but wait until around 1000-1200kms and after a couple of oil changes when it will free up a bit. Mine will rev till it sends my teeth blue, my mate was impressed and he is on a 250 2 stroke :)

You really need a YZ450 exhaust cam to make it rev quicker! :)

Indy, do you have the YZ exhaust cam in yours? I have one (OE Yamaha ) and considering the swap. Problem is, I trail ride and like the low speed trail riding. What was the changes from the stock to the YZ cam. I had a WR426F with the YZ timing and it hit hard, but low speed trail riding did suffer. But I was able to work around it. I guess I'm trying to decide if I should do it. Not trying to hijack this thread. :)

the wr makes its peak power @ 7500-8500 rpms depending on your setup, its not gonna rev and continue to make power like a 125 two stroke! i let people ride my bike that have two smokes and i almost cry the way they bounce off the rev limiter. (i don't let those people ride anymore) dang two smokers :) but anyway you just need to ride a little differently,pay attention to where the power comes on and use the bottom end to your advantage,short shift and let the motor work. you will have improved traction and the bike is way easier to ride fast when its not all wound up. you can lug around and then scream it when you have to down the stretches and not even have to leave 3rd gear! :) the yz cam will move the HP peak to a higher rpm but at significant loss to your truck like bottom end.

2005 wr 450 pulls like a truck but wont rev :) is this normal? all free mods have been done plus have added the JD jet kit and screw. :) hard to explain but here goes... open throttle pulls real hard then nothin it just will not rev.. i might be way off I've ever had 2 strokes but does this sound right?????

Did you do the throttle-stop mod? I have to remind myself to use the extra throttle gained from the mod; when use all of the throttle, even at high speeds, "all hell breaks loose" as the revs keep building. The WR ether sprays a rooster tail of mud/dirt or becomes a unicycle -- an amazing high speed, high rev hit.

I've done the four primary mods; not touched the jetting yet as the bike runs perfectly -- but I have the JD kit as well as the Lowedog kit (will do both soon).

Elton

Indy, do you have the YZ exhaust cam in yours? I have one (OE Yamaha ) and considering the swap. Problem is, I trail ride and like the low speed trail riding. What was the changes from the stock to the YZ cam. I had a WR426F with the YZ timing and it hit hard, but low speed trail riding did suffer. But I was able to work around it. I guess I'm trying to decide if I should do it. Not trying to hijack this thread. :)

I ran the YZ450 cam for about a month and went back to the WR cam and sold it to TT member NHKevin. I could not handle the midrange hit in the woods. It was too much for my riding style. I really have addapted to the WR powerband and I recommend it for eastern riding. Out west I would consider running the YZ450 cam for open high speed riding. :)

I ran the YZ450 cam for about a month and went back to the WR cam and sold it to TT member NHKevin. I could not handle the midrange hit in the woods. It was too much for my riding style. I really have addapted to the WR powerband and I recommend it for eastern riding. Out west I would consider running the YZ450 cam for open high speed riding. :p

Thanks, I'll stick with the stock cam and sell the YZ one. Anyone want a YZ exhaust camshaft for a 450? :):)

The guy who started this post needs one! TT member "New2fourstrokes" needs that arm stretching faster reving gorrilla power! :)

OK OK first run it was 46hp thats with all mods done sept Grey wire.. JD jet kit red pin 3rd clip 168 main.. now we took the side cover off the one where the cut out holes are jumped straight to 49hp.. now that not bad.. :)