Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seabass

Beware Of The IMS Tank For The '05 WR

41 posts in this topic

I went with the IMS 3.4 gallon tank primarily because it has the largest capacity I could find of any of the aftermarket tanks and still be rider friendly. (Please don't reply ".....but Acerbis makes a 12 gallon tank that they made fer Dakar.") After installing it I was concerned how close the fuel transfer line ( The IMS tank comes with two 90 degree fittings that screw into the lowest part of the tank on each side. A fuel line is then connected between these two fittings so the fuel on the right side of the tank can move to left hand side where the petcock is.) was to the exhaust pipe. I ain't too book smart but I is smart enought to figger out that gas and hot exhaust pipes should be kept far apart. I e-mailed IMS questioning the supplied fuel lines and if they could withstand being so close to the exhaust pipe. They replied the fuel lines were high quality and not to worry. I gave it a test run around the neighborhood with a small amount of gas in the tank and to my surprise it worked. :)

I took my bike out today to do a race in the So Cal dez and wouldn't ya know it, after fifteen minutes of warming up/ puttin' around camp the fuel line above the exhaust pipe bursts and 3.4 gallons of high octane dump on my red hot exhaust pipe. :) I thought my bike was done for but thankfully it was pretty cool out and I had about a gallon of water on my bumper and dumped it out on the header pipe.

If anyone is planning on buying an IMS tank-please be careful and invest in an asbestos riding suit. Or better yet, go with the Clarke tank.

I am a strong supporter of the GYTR 3.3 gallon tank! Quality design. Dual petcocks that actually drain completely! Yes the tank sits a little higher than the others but you dont worry about burning your fuel lines either. :)

Thanks for the heads up. I was really looking hard at getting the IMS. I like being able to move up on the tank when turning and the IMS looked like the way for me to go.

I have a IMS tank for my 2005 WR and love it. I have over 1,023 hard miles on it in Baja with no problems. The right side 90 should be facing rearwards slightly up hill with the hose running just over the head bolt and over the intake manifold down to the left side. You should not be able to see it from the right side and yes it does transfer all the gas to the left. It's pretty far away from the exhaust pipe. Great tank with low cg's and slim to boot. Just my opinion.

It's pretty far away from the exhaust pipe.

Huh? The 90 degree fitting is about one inch above my exhaust pipe, so that means the fuel line is only one inch above the exhaust pipe. Are you still running the stock exhaust? I just started running a Big Gun exhaust and I'm curious if it runs at a different angle to the gas tank than the stock pipe did :)

Seabass, I'm running a DR.D slip on with a stock head pipe. The fitting measures 2 1/2 inches from the pipe and yes the pipe gets red hot sometimes. You can also go to your local race car shop and get some good insulation for spark plug wires/fuel lines and run your hose inside of it. I hope this helps.

I went with the IMS 3.4 gallon tank primarily because it has the largest capacity I could find of any of the aftermarket tanks and still be rider friendly. (Please don't reply ".....but Acerbis makes a 12 gallon tank that they made fer Dakar.") After installing it I was concerned how close the fuel transfer line ( The IMS tank comes with two 90 degree fittings that screw into the lowest part of the tank on each side. A fuel line is then connected between these two fittings so the fuel on the right side of the tank can move to left hand side where the petcock is.) was to the exhaust pipe. I ain't too book smart but I is smart enought to figger out that gas and hot exhaust pipes should be kept far apart. I e-mailed IMS questioning the supplied fuel lines and if they could withstand being so close to the exhaust pipe. They replied the fuel lines were high quality and not to worry. I gave it a test run around the neighborhood with a small amount of gas in the tank and to my surprise it worked. :)

I took my bike out today to do a race in the So Cal dez and wouldn't ya know it, after fifteen minutes of warming up/ puttin' around camp the fuel line above the exhaust pipe bursts and 3.4 gallons of high octane dump on my red hot exhaust pipe. :) I thought my bike was done for but thankfully it was pretty cool out and I had about a gallon of water on my bumper and dumped it out on the header pipe.

If anyone is planning on buying an IMS tank-please be careful and invest in an asbestos riding suit. Or better yet, go with the Clarke tank.

I have the IMS 3.1 gallon tank and I haven't had any problems with the fuel lines. I REALLY like how low and slim the tank feels when riding. HOWEVER, the fit of the tank is HORRIBLE. It's rubbing and wearing on the top of the valve cover on my bike (both sides.) Knowing what I know now...I would definitely go with the Acerbis tank.

Anyone want to buy an IMS tank? :p:D

My new Acerbis (GYT-R) tank fits much better than my IMS tank, the IMS does sink down low on the right side, and that's where the gas stays... It's much lower than the inlet of the carb.. The IMS also rubbed on my valve cover and the elbow on the right side eventually leaked. I've owned some very nice tanks from IMS, the Yamaha 3.3 isn't one of them..

My new Acerbis (GYT-R) tank fits much better than my IMS tank, the IMS does sink down low on the right side, and that's where the gas stays... It's much lower than the inlet of the carb.. The IMS also rubbed on my valve cover and the elbow on the right side eventually leaked. I've owned some very nice tanks from IMS, the Yamaha 3.3 isn't one of them..

I've owned three different IMS tanks and have always liked 'em. This tank for the WR/YZ has me a little spooked. A guy I work with told me the grey fuel lines that came with the tank are pretty flimsy and he uses a thick auto fuel line wrapped in a heat transfer tape. He's had the gas boilin' on long rides on really hot days! I've got too many bucks wrapped up in my bike to be worryin' about it catching fire. I'm pretty sure the head pipe from Big Gun is shaped differently than the stock one and sits a little higher up than the stocker. This coupled with the lower gas tank spells BarBeeQue!!! :)

Dan, how much did the acerbis tank run? Did you order that from a Yamaha dealer for an '05 or an earlier year? Thanks in advance.....

p.s. Does it come in blue and how many gallons is it? thanks

The GYTR (Acerbis) tank lists for $245.00 as a Yamaha part number and is around 3.3 gallons capacity. One of the most expensive tanks out there. :)

Cheif, Indy's correct on the specs...Yes they come in blue. But Acerbis MAKES the GYT-R and I bought my Acerbis for 161.00 Yes, that's a smokin deal.. Why buy the GYT-R for more money when you can get the Acerbis "same tank" cheaper?

Dad, my daddy always told me, "sometimes you pay more than you have to"

D

Acerbis MAKES the GYT-R and I bought my Acerbis for 161.00 Yes, that's a smokin deal.. Why buy the GYT-R for more money when you can get the Acerbis "same tank" cheaper?

I mentioned the pricing to my shop and they said no way, although I'm getting a great price on the 3.4 IMS. I recall you got that price cause you know the dealer :) As I'm going with the IMS, I'll have to hold them to the fuel line installation being protected from the exhaust I guess..... :)

I priced both the GYT-R and Acerbis 3.4 Gal tanks at my local Yamaha dealer before I went with the Acerbis tank. The dealer said that they could discount the Acerbis tank price more than the GYT-R tank price. Since the two tanks were EXACTLY the same and made by Acerbis it was not rocket science to determine that the Acerbis tank was a better deal.

I priced both the GYT-R and Acerbis 3.4 Gal tanks at my local Yamaha dealer before I went with the Acerbis tank. The dealer said that they could discount the Acerbis tank price more than the GYT-R tank price. Since the two tanks were EXACTLY the same and made by Acerbis it was not rocket science to determine that the Acerbis tank was a better deal.

Exactly...... My dealer said the same thing.. :)

Does someone have a picture of the Aceribis tank installed that they could post? Does it ride higher than the stock?