HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Math

426 head assembly

3 posts in this topic

Here are two questions

1) What if I don't know the original place of each valve cap? :cry:

2) How the hek am I suppose to check the valves with a filler gauge, I don't even have the specs to do that! In the manual, the specs refer to a procedure that I've never heard of which is to put some plasticgauge ( :cry: ?) on the cam and to measure the width of the mark....

Thanks for your help!

The plastigage isn't to check the valve lash...it's to check clearance on the cam bearings.

As for the caps, I would do 2 things...first, with everything nice and shiny clean, check the fit of the caps in the bores in the head and make sure clearance to the bores is about the same. Then, using a micrometer, measure the thickness of each cap and position 'em on the valves where it best benefits you when you are shimming the valves.

Here are two questions

1) What if I don't know the original place of each valve cap? :cry:

It won't be the end of the world, but it'll be a lot harder to determine the correct valve lash. You'll have a lot more trial & error. Typically the exhaust valves will be tighter than the intakes.

2) How the hek am I suppose to check the valves with a filler gauge, I don't even have the specs to do that! In the manual, the specs refer to a procedure that I've never heard of which is to put some plasticgauge ( :cry: ?) on the cam and to measure the width of the mark....

Thanks for your help!

A feeler gauge is a tool made up of thin strips of metal used as thickness gauges for determining the correct clearance, lash or gap. They can have very few "blades" or many like a folding pocket knife. You slide these blades in the space between the bucket (cap) and the cam lobes to find out if you've got the proper clearances based on the manual's specifications.

If you're out of spec, you need to remove the cam shafts and buckets to replace the shims with the right size. Again, you'll need a manual. If you aren't sure about anything, do a lot more research or have an experienced mechanic do it for you. Don't take unnecessary with your machine. It's not worth the risk.