lessening clutch pull?

My 05' WR450 clutch pull is a little more than I like. Seems to be well-lubed from the factory so I haven't added cable lube. I'd like to remedy this clutch pull a bit. One idea is to use a longer clutch arm where it comes out of the gearbox for more leverage. Anyone know (if anyone) who makes these?

The second idea is a hydaulic clutch which I've heard of but have no idea how they operate or where they are located on the bike. Can someone recomend a product?

The longer lever out of the gearbox seems like the simpler, cheaper option but I'm open to anything........other ideas/thoughts?

Thanks.

MSR/Wirtz makes an adjustable perch/lever combo where you have the choice of three different fulcrum/pivot points. You can go easy pull, long throw or hard pull, short throw or inbetween which is almost stock. Have it on my YZF400 to help the girlfriend when she rides it.

• 9 months later...

Yes, the MSR pro raptor DOES lessen clutch pull...but i have had two of them break on me...not levers either, the perch.

The raptors are cast out of the worst crap-slag aluminum, and are very brittle, especially at the perch. The levers dont seem to bend or break, but the perch snaps easily.

I went to my dealer and got a clutch acutator arm for a 98 yz400f. It's 5mm longer than the current models (no welding on a 5mm extension to your current part) and made for an easier pull on my 06' yz250f. I found the info by using the search function. I believe I typed in "clutch arm mod." The info came from a 2002 MXA article. Good luck.

My lever is lengthened and its way easier than any hydro system. You can actually take yours to a welder or machine shop and have them cut it and re-weld it. Or there is another alternative where you get one from another Yamaha, although I cant remember which model fits it..

With it being lengthened I guessing you would have to use your whole hand as your index finger wouldnt be long enough? (due to it being lengthened?)

On my mates KTM however I could easily use one finger all day long. Stuff like this drives me mad-why in the hell dont Yamaha just use quality gear in the first place? Thinking more and more I should have gone KTM...........after all I have to spend all this extra money to get it up to their standard anyhow......

I seem to find more problems with the KTM's over Yami... things like fork seals and wheel bearings.. Teh KTM is known for bolting on trick bits that are proven. Yamaha is know for engineering their own.

The saying goes that the "europeans invent it, the japanese refine it, and the chinese copy it."

I wish I could.. mines in the shop getting a new starter motor. Just go have a look at your bike. pull the lever a few times and you will see the arem move on the back of the engine. Imagine cutting this and adding some length to it. Its simple physics.