Unbelievable bike!!!!!!!

I just had to write this. Having come from a series of twenty some odd dirt bikes in the last few years, buying and selling my way up to newer and better bikes I thought I would stop when I got to the XR400. A fluke brought me a 2004 WR250 for $3000 Canadian so I had to buy it and then I was so impressed with this 250 I sold my XR400 and purchased a 2004 WR450 for $6,000.

What an amazing bike! Now that I have put a couple hundred miles on this thing I am constantly being blown away by the sheer power. Twist that throttle and more and more power until you are looking at the blue sky in almost every gear! Without the baffles and with the air box opened up it has this deep high-compression roar that reminds me of my Roadstar!

The suspension is so forgiving I keep getting away from making stupid mistakes without crashing and I seem to spend as much time with the wheels off the ground as on the ground, (keep in mind I'm 48 years old here).

The disc brakes make stopping and control so smooth that I am no longer so afraid of what is just out of sight and feel the confidence to keep the momentum up. Then there is the centre of gravity which is so much lower than my XR400 that terrain is now mine that I would never have tried before.

This incredible bike! I can't get enough of it! My fourteen year old stays right with me with a huge grin on his face as his 250 is just as amazing to him after all the antiques he has been riding ... we are happy campers!

If you are thinking about any other bike ... forget it!

Ride on!

My sentiments exactly. I just got my new '04 450 and took it out Saturday for it's maiden voyage. I have previously owned two KDX 200's. Now I've always loved my KDX (I ride mostly mountain trails), but when I rode the WR450, I had perma-grin the rest of the day. Did the free mods (except didn't cut the gray wire) and put in the GYTR insert, and the bike flat out rips.

It doesn't even feel that heavy, and the suspension is light years ahead of my '96 KDX.

Can't wait to get a few more miles on that puppy!

Yep, the WR450 is an amazing bike. I love mine. At 50 I don't pound it hard like the old days.

Keep an eye on TortureChambers. The stuff he rides will show how well the 450s can hold up, IMHO.

My sentiments exactly. I just got my new '04 450 and took it out Saturday for it's maiden voyage. I have previously owned two KDX 200's. Now I've always loved my KDX (I ride mostly mountain trails), but when I rode the WR450, I had perma-grin the rest of the day. Did the free mods (except didn't cut the gray wire) and put in the GYTR insert, and the bike flat out rips.

It doesn't even feel that heavy, and the suspension is light years ahead of my '96 KDX.

Can't wait to get a few more miles on that puppy!

I've heard some people say cutting the grey or not, they didn't see much of a difference. I can say that I did most of the mods before today:

JD Jet Kit

Zip-Ty fuel screw

Throttle stop replacement

And was amazed at the difference. Then today, I removed my air box snorkle (aka plug - stupid design), and unhooked (not cut) the grey wire. I don't know what did it, (air box or wire), but I can feel a difference. I didn't do the exhaust baffle, because when I tore that apart, I took out the spark arrestor, and didn't see what else to do. ?

Its definitely amazing. Puts my old '81 XR500 to shame.

I didn't do the exhaust baffle, because when I tore that apart, I took out the spark arrestor, and didn't see what else to do. ?

After you remove the airbox snorkel, you need to do the other end where the bike can breath-- Look here (see the 2005 section): http://www.thumperfaq.com/baffle.htm

Ditto Eliems comments; My 05 impresses me more and more each time out. The gearing, suspension, agility and "warp-drive" hit as the revs increase is amazing -- especially after doing the free mods.

The WR's high-limits and controlled performance has allowed me to re-visit my old mx days without ending up in the hospital ?

Elton