New '05 On The Way

So I put my deposit down on a brand-spankin' new '05. I'm having it delivered to my door from Altus Motorsports in Altus, OK for $6450 OTD. I absolutely could not find a better deal anywhere else, so I'm very pleased with the final number. I'm sure there are those out there who got their's for a lot less, but out here, this was rock bottom. I tried to get them to send it to me in the crate but they said they couldn't, so they had to add a setup fee and a document fee and then there was shipping. This is how it broke down...

5995.00 unit

100.00 setup

55.00 doc fee

300.00 shipping

6450.00 total

Since it still comes in $150 under MSRP before they add on all the other goodies, I'm cool with it. I paid Lowedog his $30 this morning so the AIS will be gone the first night it arrives, along with all the other free mods over the course of the week. I'm going to do each mod individually so I can see how each one affects the bike. I figure they should go in this order:

1) A.I.S. & Throttle Stop

2) Uncork Exhaust

3) Airbox Snorkel

4) Grey Wire

As far as other immediate purchases, I'm thinking JD Jetting Kit, Zip-Ty Fuel Screw, a skid plate, Unabiker Rad. Guards, Frame Guards, and some Cycra hand guards. I've got a huge list of other stuff I want to get, but they will come in time. So there you have it. No more lurking and being green with envy over those who have their's already. 3+ years is long enough to be without a dirt bike...Now I just have to figure a way to explain it all to my wife :cry: ...SC

Ya I drove home with my 05 on the back of my truck and had some "splainin" to do. Some times it's easier to ask for forgivness rather than convince my wonderful wife I'm asking her for permission :cry: .

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Great price on the bike congrats and welcome to the best damn forum in the world. :cry:

Interesting the way the different dealers have different charges. My '05 was also $5,950, but my set-up and freight were only $200. On the other hand, I had to pay tax, which was a pretty good hit. I have had dealers quote me anywhere from about $200 for the set-up and freight, up to almost $600. You would think that would be more standardized.

By the way, I'm planning on putting in the JD Jetting kit and Zip-Ty fuel screw tonight or tomorrow.

As long as the new owner is happy with the deal...Its a great deal :cry: . You will love your new ride... :cry: Smitty

I got mine about 1 week ago - you got a good deal - mine was $100 less but my buddy bought a new 2002 DRZ 400 (I can't wait to kick his ass on the trail). I have ridden mine a few times - it is a little tame without the mods - I am planning to start that process shortly. I was close to getting the YZF - but think I made the right choice for mostly trails and a little MX track riding. Dirt Rider has an article on the WR that speaks very highly of it. I hope you like it - if you have time it would be great to follow your progress with the mods. Cheers.

...my buddy bought a new 2002 DRZ 400, I can't wait to kick his ass on the trail...

Shoot, you'll pass him so fast, he'll think he is setting still. Hop off his bike to see why he isnt moving and hurt himself because he is doing 60mph! :cry:

Steve, you should feel happy with that deal.. I'm excited for you.. :cry:

Congrats on the new bike. You are going to love it. :cry:

Dude great deal :cry: I got mine for 6390.00 otd That included all free mods :cry: But hey I know the owner :cry: congrats :cry:

I agree that if you are happy with the deal, then it is a great deal.

I am a total newbie to the WR450 myself, but I have a couple of observations.

1. It is quick straight out of the box and you could leave it that way and still have a great dirt bike.

2. It is the hardest dirt bike I have ever worked on, I have the swollen bloody hands to prove it. But it is also the first dirt bike that I have ever owned that wasn't an MX bike...so all the extra stuff is what kept confounding me.

3. If you do all the free mod's, JD jetting, Zip Ty mixture screw and a FMF Power Core, your in for one incredible surprise. When I finished mine up Sunday afternoon I almost looped it out in 4th gear while giving it the test ride. Needed time to regroup after that!!

4. This forum is worth it's weight in gold. There is a tremendous amount of useful knowledge floating around here and the people are great.

Just my .02

Bud

Bud, you are right about the WR being hard to work on. We did the JD Jet kit, and it took forever to get the carb where we could work on it. It's in there pretty tight. I think if we had to do it again, it would be a lot quicker because we know what to do, but the guy that helped (he pretty much did it himself) said that it was a lot tougher to get to than his KTM 525exc.

Just to wrap up this thread, I told the wife and she did not, repeat: DID NOT, have a meltdown :) ! All she wants is to be sure that the lights are going to stay on, we'll still have heat and hot water, and there are going to be diapers on the new kid. I said that wouldn't be a problem, but I think we may have to sell the 3-year-old for medical experiments. Since he's been a little turd lately due to his new little brother, she's cool with that too. So, all is right with the world again, I get a new bike, and I don't have to worry about feeding another mouth because the kid thing is now a wash. My life has once again found equilibrium :) ...SC

Interesting the way the different dealers have different charges. My '05 was also $5,950, but my set-up and freight were only $200. On the other hand, I had to pay tax, which was a pretty good hit. I have had dealers quote me anywhere from about $200 for the set-up and freight, up to almost $600. You would think that would be more standardized.

By the way, I'm planning on putting in the JD Jetting kit and Zip-Ty fuel screw tonight or tomorrow.

Mine was $6195 OTD. One dealer explained to me that he gets his Hondas from Chicago, and the Yamahas from Indy. Therefore, it was a higher expense for shipping for the Hondas because of where they were coming from.

I think we may have to sell the 3-year-old for medical experiments. Since he's been a little turd lately due to his new little brother, she's cool with that too.... I get a new bike, and I don't have to worry about feeding another mouth because the kid thing is now a wash.

:):D:):p

You remember buying a bike in a dealership? Remember how you sit down with the salesman and write up the deal on paper? Then the salesman leaves to get approval from his "Boss"???

That is the point where I woudl walk into the owners/salesmanagers office. The first thing he woudl say is "How much is this guy gonna pay for set-up? We would pull some number out of our butts.

The number woudl be high or low depending how much money was in the rest of the deal. I believe Honda allowed 1 hour shop time to put the bikes together. Honda also paid for this. The charge should have been zero.

Freight was similar. It was an invented number.