HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atomictom

Accelerator pump issue with 04 450...

6 posts in this topic

I read someones thread on the wr 250 and it talks about the "BOG". It directs the veiwer to the 250 faq forum and states exactly the same problem as the 450. Has anyone done any adjustments on thier 450 as well, and has it eliminated the problem W/quick throttle response? What did it entail? :cry::cry::cry:

Thanks,

Tommy

i'm sure you know this but, being a four stroke with all it's internal parts, your never going to get it to rev in the driveway with a hard snap of the wrist. it's got a lot of flywheel also. the true test is while riding. that said, the '04 (like the '03) will work very well with the 40 leak jet. the leak jet is used to fine tune the accelerator pump. that combined with the 48 pilot jet (slow jet to some) with a 100 pilot air jet will bring the low end to life.

what of the new ap cover from boyesen? does it do anything besides what the 40 leak jet has already accomplished(in my case the 40 did, but occasionaly it will still bog if you get too hamfisted) and would it work in conjuncture with the 40 lj or would one need to go back to stock after installing the cover? would they work well together is what i'm tryin' to ask?

i'm sure you know this but, being a four stroke with all it's internal parts, your never going to get it to rev in the driveway with a hard snap of the wrist. it's got a lot of flywheel also. the true test is while riding. that said, the '04 (like the '03) will work very well with the 40 leak jet. the leak jet is used to fine tune the accelerator pump. that combined with the 48 pilot jet (slow jet to some) with a 100 pilot air jet will bring the low end to life.

Thanks mtrablue, I have the stock lj in my Canadian model. I will have a look and see whats in there. I have been trying to work this bug out for a while and basically got it to the point where I just ride with it the way it is and love it! The only time it happens is when riding in fast tight trails with friends and making the bike ride the way it was meant to, hitting the throttle again and again. :cry::cry:

the new boyesen ap cover has only been out for about a week. i have no idea if it would cure the problem. the idea is sound. if we all have air in the pump area, it would have to be compressed to create possitive pressure. even though it's a very small area. i'd think you'd have to go back to stock leak jet and start over. who knows, this may have been the fcr's weakness from way back. i guess i'll wait for an owner review.

on another subject, thanks for the tip on the chevron/red cap mix for the rekluse clutch. i feel like i got my clutch back. i picked up a couple quarts of red cap at walmart only to find out there would be no more. i went back and got two of the 5 quart jugs right away. that should hold me for awhile!

:cry: glad to see something isn't "just my imagination" (thats what most people tell me!!!) i think i'll try one of those ap covers out,the engineers at boyesen are quite helpful. will give them a call and see what they have to say. :cry: