damn green stickers, want wr250f but....

Yo guys,

I'm a newbie to dirtbikes and have only ridden a few times, so total beginner. I can't justiy the prices on pre 2002' wr's and want to buy new. My best bet would be wr250f but 05' is not green sticker. I won't buy a crf250x because of reliability issues. The wr450f is green sticker, I really feel that this is too much bike for me, but it is almost my only choice. What do you guys think. I've already searched this topic but want some more recent input.

Try a ride on a totally showroom stock (no free mods completed) 450 and make a decision after that. An off the floor 450 does not perform to the level of a free modded 450 and it might well be a very good bike as it is corked up and throttle limited and is more akin to a strong 250-300F in that condition.

Yo guys,

I'm a newbie to dirtbikes and have only ridden a few times, so total beginner. I can't justiy the prices on pre 2002' wr's and want to buy new. My best bet would be wr250f but 05' is not green sticker. I won't buy a crf250x because of reliability issues. The wr450f is green sticker, I really feel that this is too much bike for me, but it is almost my only choice. What do you guys think. I've already searched this topic but want some more recent input.

Go for the WR450F. I was getting a CRF250X, backed off because of reliability issues -- it also bugged me that it cost almost as much as the WR450 and the WR450 is refined and had great reviews.

I thought the 450 would be too much for me; as I did not know what to expect since I have not had a bike in 30 years. The 450 was no big deal out of the box; very nice in all aspects, fast, etc., but it was not "all over me" as expected, as my last 1970's mx 2-stroke bike.

Before I had 100 miles on it, I wanted more power; wanted to pull throttle-only wheelies in 1st thru 3rd as with my old bike. Did the free mods and the bike is a beast; a smooth, very controllable beast. You get the awsome 2-stroke like hit but only at the higher revs -- so, go for the 450 and do the mods when ready.

My oldest son will need a larger bike soon; a WR250 would be perfect, he likes Honda but will not touch a 250X given the valve issues. I'll get another WR450 for the reasons outlined: cost is close and the bike can grow with him by deferring the mods.

Elton

The WRs are nice bikes, but for a beginner you'll be paying a lot for performance you'll never use. Personaly, you'de be better off with a nice used XR400 that you can change the oil once a year and will still run forever, plus you'll never tap into all the power that its got either. And, you'll spend half the amount and still get a green sticker. Just my opinion...

...you can change the oil once a year

Dan,

My dealer's service manager argues that is all I have to do with my WR450; showing me the manual service interval of 1,800 miles after the initial service. I know, I know...that's just what he insists; same with valves.

Also, I believe that the XR400 is discontinued for 2005; at least that is what the Honda site implies.

Elton

Yo Guys,

thanks for all the input. This forum is awesome. I plan on riding mostly desert here in So-cal, e.g. red-rock canyon, jawbone canyon, el paso mtns, mojave etc. Some sierra trips thrown in. I do plan on going out to OK twice a year for woods riding and moto-cross. Too bad about the xr400, my buddy had one and sheared the footpegs off casing a jump ? , so that ones out. Anyone know anything about the drz400's/250's. Thanks agin guys. ?

Dan,

My dealer's service manager argues that is all I have to do with my WR450; showing me the manual service interval of 1,800 miles after the initial service. I know, I know...that's just what he insists; same with valves.

hmm. and how does he make his money? fixing your f#*-ed up bike after you follow his advice? hmm. might make me a little skeptical.

btw, unless you're some sort of bay area non-riding poser, 1800 miles is way less than a year's riding. isn't it?

Yo Guys,

thanks for all the input. This forum is awesome. I plan on riding mostly desert here in So-cal, e.g. red-rock canyon, jawbone canyon, el paso mtns, mojave etc. Some sierra trips thrown in. I do plan on going out to OK twice a year for woods riding and moto-cross. Too bad about the xr400, my buddy had one and sheared the footpegs off casing a jump ? , so that ones out. Anyone know anything about the drz400's/250's. Thanks agin guys. ?

Note my sig below. I bought my wr450 after my 2000 DRZ400 disintegrated the intake cam and head. I was looking for the most reliable bike and the WR/YZ of Yamaha has the most reliable engine out IMO.

Thing is I liked my DRZ400 it was a fun to ride bike with plenty of power to lug my 250lbs 6"2' frame around. It just broke down too much. I had a big water pump issue before the engine crapped out. The Yamaha quality is all around much better (as reflects the retail price too). Stock suspension is much better.

I'm rebuilding the top end on my DRZ now just for the education of it all.

Buy it out of Canada from http://www.motorcycle-brokers.com and it wont have the dreaded "C" or "3" in the 8th digit of the VIN. Let him know your from Cally and he will do the rest. He is an advertiser on this forum and I have personally purchased a bike from him myself just last fall (my current WR450F and its "green" in Cally too) Besides, its kinda fun picking it up still in the crate, assmebling it yourself which entails adding oil, gas, hooking up the battery terminals and bolting on the handlebars. This is just one option if you want green in Cally. There may be others too.

Be very careful about buying a Canadian bike. You're supposed to be able to pay MB another $100 and they're supposed to get you a title so you can get a green sticker, but it doesn't always work out that way. If you go this route, then make them put some kind of green sticker registration guarantee in writing along with an out-clause that returns 100% of your money within a specified period of time if you don't get a green sticker. There are plenty of horror stories on various message boards about Canadian bikes that could not be registered in California even though they were told they'd get a green sticker. The '3' or 'C' in the 8th position of the VIN determines green or red sticker registration for 'compliant' motorcycles. Canadian motorcycles are 'NOT' compliant in California and their VIN will give it away. You can actually be fined for knowingly buying, selling or operating a Canadian motorcycle for use in the state of California. The statutes are in place to do so and I can dig them up if you want proof, but I've never heard of the state pushing things this far...yet. Please use the search function here on TT for the words "canada green sticker" and you'll find plenty to read on this topic from several TT's who have either gone or tried to go through this process, some of which were successful and many who were not.

Getting the tread back on track, the point I was trying to get across was to get a bike that is friendly and easy to learn on. My "change the oil once a year" was not meant to be literal but an example of a low maintenance motorcycle. It's never been about the bike so go out and learn on a bike that you can crash over and over on, dust it off and get back on. Just get a bike, doesn't have to be a nice one just something to get you rollin'. If you feel this is really something you want to persue, upgrade to something a little nicer in the future..