Is the woods out of the question with a YZ???

Shh, don't let the Honda guys know I'm here ? . I'm getting rid of the CRF later this year when the 06 YZ's come out and coming back to Yamaha (If Honda would get the valves right it may be a different story). I've had a 01 WR 426 but of course as soon as I started MXing it had to go, anyway my bro's getting a 03 WR on Mon and plans on woods mostly and MX playing without hitting large jumps, perfect for him. My question is can a YZ survive in the woods with the 4 speed? I know...I know.... a WR would be better but I'm a MX'er that plays in the woods. I ride my CRF in the woods in MX form and don't have any problems, will just need to drop it down a tooth or 3 on the rear and go on down the road or is it impossible to ride in the woods?

I don't know how the top gear on the 4 speed compares with top on my 2000 model, but on long firetrails I feel another gear wouldn't go astray. Though having said that, I'm not one to hold it open at max revs for too long so it may just be that I'm a bit paranoid about blowing up my beloved bike.

Apart from that, I couldn't be happier. I ride my yzf through all sorts of trails and I love it. Maybe an 18 inch rear rim would be nice for peace of mind.

i found mine somewhat unmanageable in the woods, i didnt want to drop rear sprocket size as i wanted to retain top end speed. i found i would stall too many times, and get myself into trouble. i chucked in a rekluse clutch, and love it.

its so much more manageable, a lot friendlier. i cant find a disadvantage. absolutely love it. i race my buddies at the track, and i find im faster with it, no downside for me. im a convert

phil

Comparing both bikes stock, the YZ450 comes with a low gear that's slightly LOWER than a YZ426. The 450 4th is nearly the same as the 426 5th (1.09 compared to 1.05) You don't really loose that much. Of course, the WR low gear is quite a bit lower.

The answer is, it depends. If you're buying a new 450, you'll probably find it a little more tractable at low speeds than it's predecessors, and you might decide not to use any extra flywheel weight. I have mine geared two teeth higher than stock, and it works fine in the tightest trails I ride. Depending on what your favorite spots are like, you could leave it stock, or add two or 3 in the rear (or just pop a 13 on the front for trail riding). Should be a lot of fun. ?

I believe the 13 tooth will be the way to go. I did that to my WR and I liked it. Thanks for the info. Now in a few months I just need someone to buy my 03 CRF ? , at least I be able to sleep at night knowing that who ever buys it will be getting the motor Honda SHOULD have built, SS Valves, heavy springs, seats, new piston, 04 chain tensioner. Just sucks spending the $$ to get this done and in 4 months selling it, but hey someone will be happy with it ? .

i run a 15/49 and a rekluse auto clutch on my 03. for motocross i do 2nd gear starts and still have plenty of low end to pull holeshots, and with the z start 2nd & 3rd works great in the woods. if the woods open up to fast sections 4th is faster than you will want to go. lol

I've been trail riding my 2000 YZ426 for 5 years now. I smoke my buddies on that ride a XR400, XR 650, CR500, KTM 450, and YZ250. We are all about the same level of rider. I put a 50 tooth rear on along with a powernow to get more low end. I actually bought it over the WR because it's more nimble and has more bite. I'm going to install a Rekluse clutch, kickstand, and trail tech computer this winter. My buddies won't have a chance now. The best part about the YZF's is when you come out of a corner, you'll pull away from almost anyone. Good Luck and smart choice buying blue.

A metal disc that you install horizontally in your carbs intake bell. It stabilizes airflow going into the carb on small throttle openings, giving a crisper throttle response in the pilot circuit.

Yeah, I've heard of those. Where can you get 'em?

I believe the 13 tooth will be the way to go. I did that to my WR and I liked it. Thanks for the info. Now in a few months I just need someone to buy my 03 CRF ? , at least I be able to sleep at night knowing that who ever buys it will be getting the motor Honda SHOULD have built, SS Valves, heavy springs, seats, new piston, 04 chain tensioner. Just sucks spending the $$ to get this done and in 4 months selling it, but hey someone will be happy with it ? .

My buddy has on 03 450F and runs a 13 tooth front sprocket, it works awesome ? That bike is insane ?