HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jetsprint2

Red Cap Alternatives? What now? Shell, Castrol?

54 posts in this topic

I was a Mobile 1 Red Cap guy from my bikes first oil change. The oil worked great for me but now what? I liked the way you could by a large quantity of oil for a great price! Is the Shell Rotella T Synthetic equal in price and quality, does castrol offer anything close to the Mobil 1 red cap? How much is the shell rotella and or the castrol alternative?:cry:

Mobil 1 MX4T (10w-40) or "V-Twin" (20w-50) are still around. Made from the same M1 base stocks specifically for motorcycles with wet clutches. Also, M1 Truck and SUV is a fleet graded oil that may be usable.

I was using castrol syntec blend for the past year, but suddenly they just switched over to "energy conserving" :cry: :cry: :cry:

Guess I'll be using Rotella now, my dad uses it in his Case tractor! :cry:

Is a 5-40 weight oil ok to run in a 450F? I know outdoor extreme temps factor, but I only run in 45 deg and up weather anyway. Occasionally I will ride when it is 95deg+.:cry:

Allright, your losing me here. If you have been such a fan of red cap why the change? Have they very recently done something to red cap to make it bad for bikes? Not talking about the change to Supersyn 3 years ago.

Rotella T Synthetic is 5w-40 NOT 15w-40. Get your facts straight.
Ohhhhhhhhhh.... Excuse me! I guess I should of had the bottle in front of me before I quickly answered. What's with the harsh commentary? I hope you're kidding? The "Get your facts straight" is out of line! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Allright, your losing me here. If you have been such a fan of red cap why the change? Have they very recently done something to red cap to make it bad for bikes? Not talking about the change to Supersyn 3 years ago.
They discontinued it. Non-existent oil is very bad for bikes. :cry:

It might be that the Extended Service "Gold Cap" 15w-50 is the replacement, but no one knows yet.

Is a 5-40 weight oil ok to run in a 450F? I know outdoor extreme temps factor, but I only run in 45 deg and up weather anyway. Occasionally I will ride when it is 95deg+
Yes, it's fine. The higher viscosity number is what sets your high temp limit, and according to your manual, a 40 weight is good up to 114 degrees F. I know lots of people running Rotella, and I run M1 MX4T (10w-40) under the same conditions. It works great.

"They discontinued it. Non-existent oil is very bad for bikes. :cry:

It might be that the Extended Service "Gold Cap" 15w-50 is the replacement, but no one knows yet."

Ok, that makes sense thanks for the clarification. Yeah, it will be interesting to see if the 15w50 extended life is the same, I'm betting it is since it is still SL

Well guys I just got off the phone with a tech @ Mobil1 and he said that for sure the gold cap is replacing red cap, how ever it now has more friction modifiers and he strongly recomended it not be used in a wet clutch application. He did recommend the MX4T and said, " it would be available at Autozone & Advance Auto Parts." Here is whats said about it on Mobil's site.

Mobil 1 MX4T is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 MX4T has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads. Remember, most bikes don’t have catalytic converters, so higher levels of phosphorus are not a problem.

In addition, Mobil 1 MX4T uses different dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 MX4T is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx

I saw some new "red cap" on the shelves at wally world tonight. It was in 5w-30 and 10w-30. Neither one said energy conserving. $23.?? for 5 qts.

Well crap. After a look at mobils website it was the "clean 5000" oil and is not synthetic. Guess I'm sticking with Rotella T.

I think I may switch to the Rotella synthetic 5w40 myself in my 650R. Really wanted a 50wt in that engine though.

I saw some new "red cap" on the shelves at wally world tonight. It was in 5w-30 and 10w-30. Neither one said energy conserving. $23.?? for 5 qts.
Yamaha does not recommend ANY 30 weight oil. Check your manual. It's way too light for an engine with rolling element bearings.