Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tmac

Any engine problems with the 03/04 wr450?

6 posts in this topic

I'm considering to buy a 03 or 04 WR 450. I have heard that the 03 had some engine problems but I have not heard of any specific problem. Are there any reliability issues or problems inharent to either of these years? Thanks

The 03 had issues with the woodruff key shearing and some trouble in the electric starter area. The case could break etc. Many have added 04 gear and then all this is a non issue. I think thats about it actually. Pretty tough rigs!:cry:

Thats what I heard as well!:cry:

The 03 had issues with the woodruff key shearing and some trouble in the electric starter area. The case could break etc. Many have added 04 gear and then all this is a non issue. I think thats about it actually. Pretty tough rigs!:cry:

The '03 had a pretty serious problem with the starter drive. Yamaha redesigned it for the '04 and since then there does not seem to be a problem (The '04 parts are retrofittable to the '03). Other than that these motors a very reliable. I have not heard of the primary nut coming loose though I know that is a problem on the DRZ's. I have owned all three generations of 4xx's and all have been nothing but rock solid for me.