HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JCCYCLES44

Killer Tranny Question

5 posts in this topic

I Bought My Buddies Old 2000 Wr400 After He Got A New 04 Yz450.

Absolutly Loves, The Handling, Power,suspension,weight, Yep. The Only Thing He Hates Is The 4 Speed In The Bush,tight Trees/trails.

Question: Has Anyone Thought About, Or Tried To Put The Yz To A 5 Speed? From A Wr Tranny?

Maybe I'll Just Ask Mr. Know It All!

Thumps Alot

Jimbo

It makes a great swap. You end up with a lower low, the same three in 2,3, and 4 (close anyway) and then a big ol' 5th.

Downside is you need the whole transmission, forks and shift cam for around $700. Nothing interchanges. Still, it's really cool if you ride mostly desert or woods. You'd spend that on a good exhaust system.

Has anyone tried to put a 5 speed tranny from a YFZ (quad) into a YZ 450? Seems that tranny on the YFZ is more of a close ratio.

I haven't heard of it being done, but if the internal dimensions of the YFZ cases are the same, it seems do-able. But here's my thought on it. The YFZ 5th gear is 1.05:1, the same as the YZ426. The YZ450 4th gear is nearly the same at 1.09:1. So you would have a closer ratio box, but only about the same speed range as you currently have. This is just what Yamaha was trying to get away from when they went to the 4 speed; unnecessarily close trans ratios, and extra shifting. But it might be the ticket for Super Moto.

On the other hand, with the WR, you have a pretty big jump from 1 to 2, then it's the same as the YZ450 for the next 3 gears, then a 5th over that. What I wonder is, could you use the mainshaft and 1st gear wheel from the YZF with the 2nd through 4th of the WR? Then, it really would be like adding a gear on top of the YZ450.