Killer Tranny Question

I Bought My Buddies Old 2000 Wr400 After He Got A New 04 Yz450.

Absolutly Loves, The Handling, Power,suspension,weight, Yep. The Only Thing He Hates Is The 4 Speed In The Bush,tight Trees/trails.

Question: Has Anyone Thought About, Or Tried To Put The Yz To A 5 Speed? From A Wr Tranny?

Maybe I'll Just Ask Mr. Know It All!

Thumps Alot

Jimbo

I did it :cry: and love it:D wr gears will go right in there:thumbsup:

It makes a great swap. You end up with a lower low, the same three in 2,3, and 4 (close anyway) and then a big ol' 5th.

Downside is you need the whole transmission, forks and shift cam for around $700. Nothing interchanges. Still, it's really cool if you ride mostly desert or woods. You'd spend that on a good exhaust system.

Has anyone tried to put a 5 speed tranny from a YFZ (quad) into a YZ 450? Seems that tranny on the YFZ is more of a close ratio.

I haven't heard of it being done, but if the internal dimensions of the YFZ cases are the same, it seems do-able. But here's my thought on it. The YFZ 5th gear is 1.05:1, the same as the YZ426. The YZ450 4th gear is nearly the same at 1.09:1. So you would have a closer ratio box, but only about the same speed range as you currently have. This is just what Yamaha was trying to get away from when they went to the 4 speed; unnecessarily close trans ratios, and extra shifting. But it might be the ticket for Super Moto.

On the other hand, with the WR, you have a pretty big jump from 1 to 2, then it's the same as the YZ450 for the next 3 gears, then a 5th over that. What I wonder is, could you use the mainshaft and 1st gear wheel from the YZF with the 2nd through 4th of the WR? Then, it really would be like adding a gear on top of the YZ450.