Would you buy a 650L again?

I test rode an 03 650L for a couple of hours, then I test rode an 04 DRZ for about half an hour.......I bought the DRZ: lighter, more power, better ergo's, and cheaper insurance was the seller for me. Plus I think it looks way nicer :cry: The XR650L is definetley the way to go if you want a 650 dualsport though.....

too bad your not in with your dealer. Mine will let me test the 450X if Im really in the market to buy. I have bought two new bikes and 3 or 4 older ones from him through the years. He let me test ride a brand new CR500 15 years ago right after they assembled it and I wasn't even looking to buy. I just happen to be there and they said try it.

:cry:

I dont know if they would let me or not since im only 18 they mite let my dad but I doubt they would someone young like me test ride a bike even though I have experience. O well I'll have to see if anyone has a 450x where I go riding and ask them. :cry: I'd also like to test ride a XR650R :cry:

O well I'll have to see if anyone has a 450x where I go riding and ask them. :cry: I'd also like to test ride a XR650R :cry:

Now you're talkin'! :cry: Problem is you may not want to go back to the L! It's what happened to me when I rode my friend's XR650R. Gobs of power, stout suspension, great feel, watercooled, 40 lbs. less...you'll get the picture. :cry:

Actually I am thinking in the near future of getting a 650R for just dirt and turning the 650L into a motard/roadracing bike. :cry: And actually I think the 650R is 50lbs lighter since on hondas website it says its 277lbs dry. But who knows how acurate that is :cry:

I am taking the plunge this w/e with a deposit on the L model. I wanted a street legal one and I doubt if I can get the R titled/licensed. Can't wait til spring though.

Dave

If I had to have just one bike in the garage, it would be another 650L.

It doesn't do really tight snotty singletrack really well. It doesn't do Interstate highway really well. But it can be ridden in either of these extremes, and is pretty competent everywhere else.

I love my L and that pretty much sums it up. :cry:

Actually I am thinking in the near future of getting a 650R for just dirt and turning the 650L into a motard/roadracing bike. :cry: And actually I think the 650R is 50lbs lighter since on hondas website it says its 277lbs dry. But who knows how acurate that is :cry:

I know it sounds like the guy's with XR650R's bag on those that get XR650L's but, if you can get a streetable XR650R do it! There is soooooooo, much difference! It is 44 pounds difference.

I know it sounds like the guy's with XR650R's bag on those that get XR650L's but, if you can get a streetable XR650R do it! There is soooooooo, much difference! It is 44 pounds difference.

Time to put things in perspective. My VTX is around 750lbs, before the 100 or so lbs of accessories that I've added :cry:

LoL I am assuming your talking about a streetbike. :cry: They are alot heavier but they have alot more horspower. I heard the yammie R1 I think its an 1100 has about 180hp stock :cry:.

Yes, I ride a VTX 1800 and a CBR 954rr on the street. I saw a comment a few responses back about he 650L passing a sport-bike on the road. I'll believe that when I see it.

The dirt is another story. Can you imagine trying to take a bike that's 800lbs off-road :cry:

There's a road here in Austin, very twisty, very dusty, called Lime Creek Road. I've ridden it for years. One day I was on my old(82)GPZ and my kneepuck was a scrapin', my back wheel was a slidin', and I heard this "Wooaaaagggg" and some crazy sucker was comin' around the OUTSIDE of me, kicked out, foot down, rear tire off the road spittin' gravel, and was just GONE. Now I'm not the fastest rider in the world, but I can get around a corner, and I do ride elderly sport bikes, but that dude smoked me fair and square. Since then I have seen him do it to countless others with more modern machinery and I now own an XR650L and ride it every day.

Yes, I ride a VTX 1800 and a CBR 954rr on the street. I saw a comment a few responses back about he 650L passing a sport-bike on the road. I'll believe that when I see it.

The dirt is another story. Can you imagine trying to take a bike that's 800lbs off-road :cry:

Not just a road, a twisty road, the kind of twisty road you have to slow down to 15-20mph on. The XR650L or R will out corner any sports bike. Sure once you can get to speed or rev the big bike you will pull away FAST. But the twistier and more technical the road, any SM bike will eat a big sport bike.

I love my 650L. In fact, I've been riding my other bikes a lot lately and I'm missing my L. I'm gonna give it some TLC then I'm gonna ride it the next time I go to my other house... :cry:

Pictures with the L from the past...

32-me%20rocks1.jpg

20-me%20on%20a%20wheelie.jpg

L-Big%20Pig%20Dropping%20into%20White%20Rock%20Alley.jpg

M-Torture%20coming%20thru%20WRA.jpg

the twistier and more technical the road, any SM bike will eat a big sport bike.

In addition to twisty, I like them steep uphill or downhill and bumpy. It's so fun to humble literbikes with my little 40HP XR650L supermoto!

I have a ducati SS750. It is fast on the highway, but in the city my 650l blows it away. I can move around anything with the dual sport.

Yes, I Honda XR650L would of course buy another one. Why not, after a few problems that this wonderfull forum has helped fix, they are a blast. :)

NO, not my deal. xr650r

Definitely YES !

This bike is very cool and easy to work on !

You bet ,fired up and ready for spring !

I like working on it(mods) and riding it

I like the fact its been around and proven,

and 50 miles from no place its dependable

and I'll get home.

Ed

I you are interested in just 'fun' riding on an mx track, you can do it fine on the 'L'. I do it all the time. I'm not trying to hit any triples, or long doubles, but I handle the moderate doubles just fine. It's got a great fun factor. I also ride on every kind of trail with no problems. It's not light as a feather, but if you learn how to use the torquey engine, it's a blast on the trails. I've gone chugging right up many steep, difficult spots while 2-smokes and smaller thumpers struggle.

Seldon