HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rljjredhed

what are the starting tricks for an 03yz450f

7 posts in this topic

just read oldphat post about reckluse mod and has me thinking about keeping my bike, because i am close to dropping down to a 250 fourstroke so i can have more fun longer without getting so worn out, especially when i take my bike on the trails it is a bitch to start when i lay it down and it is hot and i am on a muddy incline any tips, it starts 1rst or 2cnd kick any other time but the little bit of tight trail riding i do man i don't have much fun trying to start my bike but man i love my bike but my wife won't let me have 2 one for trail and one for the track

thanks

My 450 was a pain to start until I began finding TDC before giving it the kick, instead of just kicking it over anywhere in the stroke.

Just nudge the kickstarter until you find the hard spot, release it to the top of the stroke and then give it a good kick.

It should start 1st kick 99% of the time with that method.

When I used to just kick it over and over, it would always start but sometimes would take much longer than others.

Basically, just like the 426 drill but no need to pull in the compression release (b/c it is automatic on the 450).

Everytime I lay down my 04 YZ450, starting it was very hard. Now it is easier because I learned to to crack open the throttle just a little bit. It starts in 2 kicks. Also find the TDC before kicking the lever.

I agree with slappie. Make sure you have patience and take your time. You should find TDC and use your hot start button. My '03 started much easier than my '04. Still wouldn't change to a smaller bike.Chad

Everytime I lay down my 04 YZ450, starting it was very hard. Now it is easier because I learned to to crack open the throttle just a little bit. It starts in 2 kicks. Also find the TDC before kicking the lever.
There you go. :cry:

The bike generally gets at least partially flooded when it falls over and quits. In this condition, they need more air than fuel. As a result, opening and holding (NOT pumping) the throttle is usually the answer, since that reduces the vacuum applied to the idle circuit, and less fuel, or no fuel, will be delivered. How much to open it is what you need to learn by experimenting. Start at half and work your way down until you find out what your bike likes. This also works when you kill it with the brakes, etc., but that usually doesn't require so much throttle to clear it out.