Is Mobil 1 done with 'RedCap' 15-50?

Went to WalMart to get another gallon of RedCap yesterday and except for the 6 pack cases they were out. Not one single quart or gallon container on the shelf. Looks like the replacement is a GoldCap model under the 'extended performance' brand. Still fully synthetic and all but also slightly more expensive. I just browsed the Mobil website and found that they don't even list RedCap anymore. They still have standard sythetic oils but none of them are 15-50. The only way to find 15-50 is to look under the extended performance brand. Makes me think they are in the midst of phasing out the best oil ever and that's why WalMart was left with empty shelves. Does anybody else know anything about this or come across the same problem??

Well, I just got the answer to my question from Mobil. They are no longer making RedCap. The closest thing to it now will be GoldCap. That's the extended performance brand that is 15-50. This is obviously just a move on their part to charge us more money. The RedCap was very popular as indicated by it having more shelf space than their other products. We just got screwed.?

yeah i went to walmart sat i live here in wa and there was still lotta Red cap left first time using it in my bike before i ran that mobile one MX4t oil so i thought maybe walmart might of had that mx4t but they didn't ? cause i didn't wanna go to the cycle barn and pay like $12 a quart:thumbsdn: so anyways that sucks if there not going to have recap anymore cause my bike seem to like it haven't any problems from what i can tell with the clutch at first i wasnt sure to put it in since it didnt seem have the jasmo or any of the type grades it recommends but so far it seems to be alright so i guess if there going to get rid of red cap guess i'm gonna have to go back to the MX4t unless someone tried that Royal Purple synthetic oil that just for motorcycles ??

What is the big deal about red cap? In the world of synthetics, it really is not one by the base stock of the oil. It is a group 3 base stock which is still mineral oil. This all happened because of the castrol lawsuit a few years back.

If you want a synthetic oil, use a group 4 or 5 base oil. I run the Amsoil 0w40 oil and it is the best oil I have found for the 4 stroke wet clutch motors.

what about the V-Twin from mobil 1 it's 20w-50
V-Twin contains quite a bit of moly, but it's also rated as a JASO MA oil, which means, among other things, that it's specifically intended for use in a motorcycle engine that shares oil with a wet clutch. Looks god to me, but it's liable to be more expensive than Rotella.

What is the big deal about red cap? In the world of synthetics, it really is not one by the base stock of the oil. It is a group 3 base stock which is still mineral oil. This all happened because of the castrol lawsuit a few years back.

I think if you research that, you'll find that M1 red cap contains no mineral oil base stock, nor do any of the M1 oils that I know of. Your point about Castrol is correct, however, and their "SynTec" line is more accurately described as mineral oil with synthetic additives.

From Mobil's web site: Mobil 1 15W-50 is made with a patented proprietary blend of ultra high performance synthetic basestocks...

V-Twin appears to differ from MX4T only in it's weight and moly content, but it IS a heavy oil designed for hot-running V-twin engines.

Maybe if you ride trails like grandpa (or me) it's not such a bad idea.

An alternative that contains no moly is the Mobil-1 Truck and SUV formula. It's virtually identical to Delvac and is a very popular oil, and to top it off, it's a 5w-40, so it is ideal for cold mornings in Montana but you don't have to give up the 40w high temp capability. An oil that can be run pretty much year round in all but a few areas.

Best of all, it's the same $4.81 that Wal-Mart used to get for single quarts of red cap.

Wal-Mart bit me one time... I bought a full six-pack, and the unit price was more than had I just bought six bottles. Last time I looked, they had not corrected that. They had lowered their single quart price from around $5.25 to $4.81, but didn't change the boxed 6-pack price.

I need a 5-quart jug plus a 6-pack to change the oil in both of my Toyotas (perfect, Tundra takes 7qts, Rav4 takes 4qts)... my wife is always asking me why I'm opening the 6-pack box and putting the individual quarts in the basket ?

yeah i went to walmart sat i live here in wa and there was still lotta Red cap left first time using it in my bike before i ran that mobile one MX4t oil so i thought maybe walmart might of had that mx4t but they didn't ? cause i didn't wanna go to the cycle barn and pay like $12 a quart:thumbsdn: so anyways that sucks if there not going to have recap anymore cause my bike seem to like it haven't any problems from what i can tell with the clutch at first i wasnt sure to put it in since it didnt seem have the jasmo or any of the type grades it recommends but so far it seems to be alright so i guess if there going to get rid of red cap guess i'm gonna have to go back to the MX4t unless someone tried that Royal Purple synthetic oil that just for motorcycles ??

I think we have a winner for the longest sentence. ?

A lot of people are praising the Shell Rotella T synthetic, contains no molly and is only $12 per gallon! Why are people spending $10+ per quart at their dealer when a quart of Amsoil motorcycle specific (JASO MA) oil can be picked up for $6 a quart? If you want a label that states it motorcycle specific, go with Amsoil ?

When I couldn't find a gallon of the RedCap I went ahead a bought a jug of the GoldCap anyhow. The weight is the same 15-50, and it's still fully synthetic. The only thing that looks different is the jug says it's 'extended performance'. I don't know what's different but I thought I'd try it. I still had enough RedCap for the last oil change though so it'll be a while before I find out anything about the GoldCap. The whole situation stinks though.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance was just made available 2/1/05. The Gold Cap is better than the Red Cap because, amongst other things, has twice as much Supersyn additive as the Red Cap. I understand these new Extended Performance products will start being publicly promoted when the NASCAR season starts.