How important is a spark arrestor?

We have been having really bad forest fire conditions and dry hot summers with campfire bans and area closures 3 out of the last four summers here in the vancouver area.

These 04 wr bikes I picked up have had the baffles removed and there are no spark arrestors. I didn't get the inserts with the bikes either and nor do I want to cork them up again.

How much risk is there when you are cruising the forestry roads of starting a forest fire? Do I really need to worry about this and if so what do I do that is functional but without reducing performance?

Thanks.

I READ IN A MAG OVER HERE IN OZ A COUPLE OF MONTHS A BLOKE WAS RIDING IN A FOREST IN THE U.S WITHOUT ONE STARTED A FIRE( LOTS OF DAMAGE) THEN GOT SUED FOR THE COSTS OVER ($10,00000) I BET HE WISHES HE LEFT IT IN. ? I'M NOT SURE HOW TRUE THIS IS BUT THAT IS WHAT I READ ?

OK, I'm convinced. Now I remember seeing an article somewhere that described how to build a cone-type spark arrestor that you just slid in to the end of your pipe. Anyone know where this article was?

or... NeWRiver wrote:

" The exhaust baffle is the "plug" that you can see in the end of the stock WR silencer. Basically it narrows the final opening of the exhaust to a diameter about the size of your pinky finger. It is held in by a single bolt on the silencer end piece. Taking it out will make your bike much louder, allow it to breath ... The bike will run much better and will actually still have a spark arrestor, but it will be a bit too loud to be considered trail friendly. "

Where is the spark arrestor in an 04 WR450 and 250? Perhaps mine do still have spark arrestors even though the baffles are gone?

It technically cant be a home brewed spark arrestor. It must be factory built and must have the stamp/ID number in it. The WR had "IMS-400 screen type" stamped on it. Are you sure its not just the insert that is missing? And maybe the spark arrestor is still in place? As for the clown who burnt the forest, I beleive that was in my state too!

I READ IN A MAG OVER HERE IN OZ A COUPLE OF MONTHS A BLOKE WAS RIDING IN A FOREST IN THE U.S WITHOUT ONE STARTED A FIRE( LOTS OF DAMAGE) THEN GOT SUED FOR THE COSTS OVER ($10,00000) I BET HE WISHES HE LEFT IT IN. ? I'M NOT SURE HOW TRUE THIS IS BUT THAT IS WHAT I READ ?
The guy got blamed by the media and forest service. Did he start the fire? Who knows but because he didn't have a spark arrester he got blamed for it. Might be worth having one.

as a wildfirefighter I can say I know first hand the importance of a spark arrestor.. one stupid little insignificant spark can devistate an entire forrest.. and yes if you get caught ignighting a wildfire accidentally or on pourpose you will be held responsable for the bill, wich on large fires can be upwards of a million dollars per day.. so just get it and don't even take the chance..

Taking it out will make your bike much louder, allow it to breath ... The bike will run much better and will actually still have a spark arrestor, but it will be a bit too loud to be considered trail friendly. "

Where is the spark arrestor in an 04 WR450 and 250? Perhaps mine do still have spark arrestors even though the baffles are gone?

So does anyone know just where the spark arrestor is exactly? When I look down the pipe (through the 2" diameter hole), I see a flat obstruction that is about 8" down the pipe and there is a fine wire mesh screen lining the pipe to that obstruction. Is this wire mesh the spark arrestor?

Is there a dissection illustration of this anywhere?

...I see a flat obstruction that is about 8" down the pipe and there is a fine wire mesh screen lining the pipe to that obstruction. Is this wire mesh the spark arrestor...

Yes, you have the spark arrestor in place! Good deal! All you need is an insert to quiet it down a bit. Check out http://www.promotobillet.com