Why do you like your XR 250 or 400?

i like beating people on new water cooled bikes on it ? ..that being said I am definetly faster on my ktm... but the 97+ xr250/400 is straight up most reliable 4 stroke dirtbike ever made. still the most maintainace free reliable bike have ever owned though has been a honda smoker

not to stir the pot but i am wondering how many off you that are bashing radiators and valve adjustments have ever owned a modern liquid cooled thumper??

I own one now, and the radiator is a non issue, I installed some good guards and crash my brains out every ride. Honestly, it's tons easier than my XR400 to ride, but it is tons harder to work on. Pulling the carb on my 400 takes 15 minutes, pulling it on my CRF250X plain sucks.

Still, I'm really happy with my 250X, and even with the extra upkeep, which I kind of enjoy, except when it is this hot, I think it makes me a better rider than the XR400. Then again, I'm not that great a rider so...... :excuseme:

If I had to choose between the XR400 and the CRF250X, I'd take the newer bike. I have a 250L that I'm working on bringing into great shape, I'll get back to you when that happens.

All I know is the button rocks, and the autoclutch does too!!

I like my 2004 xr250r because...

1. It is stone cold reliable and requires very little maintenance.

2. It has "tight trail geometry" with a tight steering head angle/rake and short wheelbase it turns quickly and effortlessly in tight woods.

3. The motor delivers power down low and has more torque where it matters relative to the new breed of four strokes (crf-x). Below 8k rpm or so, an XR250/280 delivers more hp and torque than a CRF250X or a WR250 and by an appreciable amount. Another way to look at it is the xr250 motor is designed to deliver torque and HP at lower rpms (compression & cam timing, etc.) whereas the newer breed of motors (CRF-X, etc.) are designed to deliver peak hp competitive with a 125cc 2 stroke motocrosser and lighter weight.

4. Given the motor's longer stroke - you can bore it and gain more hp (relatively speaking) than with the new breed of short stroke motors.

5. It is lighter than anything else out there. It weighs in at about 245 without fuel. The WR250 and the CRF250X both come in at around 250 (according to mags, so go argue with them, not with me please!). I am adding an aluminum sub-frame and a e-series pipe to drop another 4 pounds or so...

6. Honda Detailing - great brakes,controls, fasteners, etc.

7. Comfort and ergos - the seat is wide and comfy on long rides and the tank is narrow.

For high speed riding or to compete with newer bikes, the bikes only downfall is it's "economy suspension". I replaced the forks and shock with ohlins units to bring it "up to par". I also noticed that the brake lines are *way* spongey and boiled both the front and rear on a tight fast trail. I went with steel braid lines and all is well now.

xr280_ohlins_low.jpg

Other mods include...

1. Keihin PD 32mm pumper carb bored oval to approx 35mm X 32mm (RB-Designs did carb work). This is a keihin pumper carb off of a brazilian model xr350 - actually called an XLX350.

2. Cylinder head porting by LT-Racing.

3. Kibble White black diamond valves to improve durability/reliability. The newer valves ('96-'04) are not as durable as the older ones ('86-'95).

4. 77mm J & E piston.

jeff

The only other bike that i would have to say was as reliable or more than our xr4's, was the yamaha xt500. Dad had it since 1980 and beat the snot out of it. The motor was far better than any other part of the bike. Started every single time, no questions asked. It made for root tearing torque than any other bike we have ridden. came with a mikuni pumper carb. after nearly 25 years of beating it in the woods sand and mud it still started first kick everytime. It had been sunk over the handlebars on multiple occasions, pulled out, pumped the water out. started 1st or 2nd kick.....then we changed the oil. It never had the cases cracked open.:worthy: the xr400 is doing really good at everything else, suspension handling, top end is great. but nothing beat that 500 motor for reliability and absolute brute torque.

But I love my 400. would take it anywhere. can't wait to get the pumper carb working! haha :ride: