knee braces???

I use the Asterisk. Its' light, compact, and comfortable. And they work. The contour of the upper and lower portions is adjustable for fit, as is the extension limit. Great brace at a reasonable price (at least, compared to others). I showed it to my orthopedist and he said he couldn't provide me with a custom one as good as that for less than $1500, if at all. ?

Asterisk!!! Cant say anymore!! And their service and turnaround time is awesome if you ever have to get something fixed, and the price to fix them if they break, or something snaps, is great. I broke the side padding for the knee cup, and snapped the thigh cuff, and it cost me $30 bucks to get them fixed, and that included shipping, and on top of that they fixed the patella cup free of charge!!

I strongly support the use of knee braces, especially after a knee injury that ended my college football career. However they can only do so much, because at the time of the injury I was wearing custom fit braces on both knees, that ran about $1600 a piece. Braces are required for lineman in practice, but like all safety equipment, they have their limits. So I brace up each time I head out to ride, buthave to keep in mind that they can only do so much.

YZ450f

Chad,

I’ve had numerous knee braces, 2 CTI, (Edge), EVS (RS-7), BERG and Townsend. Both the Cti and Townsend are customs for my right knee. Both are great braces, if I had a choice between the two, I would choose the CTI over the Townsend. Townsend anchors their strap with heavy-duty rivets that tear up pants.

I just recently ordered an EVS Web ($250) from Bobs Cycle for my left knee to replace my RS-7. The RS-7 was a good brace, but when I sweated it would slide down my leg, to cure this I bought the liners, which made it slip less. I haven’t heard anything bad about the Asterisk brand or EVS, I’ve a few friends that have one or the other brand, now have said anything negative. The reason I ordered the EVS Web, over the Asterisk was Bob’s Cycle has a sale on them and I was looking for a good deal.

Either way you go....Dont get any off Ebay!! I know form my own expierience that when I first started looking for braces and trying to find a good deal, I looked into the Donjoy Defiance, CTI, CTI2, Townsend, EVS Webb, Asterisk, and Bledsoe....

I found a brand new pair of Donjoy Defiance on ebay for 165 bucks. And knowing these are custom $1200 ea. braces, I took my knee measurements, and started bidding. Won the bid, and found out the guy was a maintenance tech at a hospital and when people get custom braces for knee problems, they dont wear them that long and they turn them back into the doctors office, and in turn, they would just toss them out. Well this guy found a market for selling them on ebay. I drove over and picked it up and the guy actually gave me another free of charge. I put them on, and one felt OK, and the other felt really tight, but hey, it was free of charge for the 2nd one. Well, I got home, and the next day put them on to see how they felt on the bike. They were sooo Uncomfortable, within 10 minutes I had the strap hinges digging a hole in my leg and bruising the hell out of my thigh. My leg actually started cramping, and it just wasnt worth it. It was obvious that since these were custom made for someone else, they just werent for me. I turned around and sold them off ebay...

Moral of the story...I tried taking the cheap way out and getting custom $1200 braces for a deal, and it didnt pay off. Even if you find custom knee braces on Ebay, and the measurements are the same, the brace was made custom for someone else, dont waste your money or time. Unless you can get a script from an Ortho Doc for a set of custom ones and your insurance co will pay for them, you cant go wrong with Asterisk's. Everyone I have talked to loves them.

As far as the EVS Webb, I have heard a few bad things about the carbon fiber cuffs and cracking. I have a buddy who is a Vet rider and he has cracked 2 EVS Webb braces, and he has faught with EVS to get them fixed, and doesnt care to ever use them again. Granted, they are designed to break rather than your femur, but the service from them doesnt compare to Asterisk.

Sometimes you can find GOOD deal on ebay for a set of Asterisk, and even if they are old, you can have them refurb'ed by Asterisk for about 150 bucks a pair....

As much as I would love to have a pair of CTI2's, I havent been able to get a doc to write a script for them, if you can, and have it covered by your insurance, then you cant go wrong with CTI's...

Just my .02 cents

Either way you go....Dont get any off Ebay!! I know form my own expierience that when I first started looking for braces and trying to find a good deal, I looked into the Donjoy Defiance, CTI, CTI2, Townsend, EVS Webb, Asterisk, and Bledsoe....

I found a brand new pair of Donjoy Defiance on ebay for 165 bucks. And knowing these are custom $1200 ea. braces, I took my knee measurements, and started bidding. Won the bid, and found out the guy was a maintenance tech at a hospital and when people get custom braces for knee problems, they dont wear them that long and they turn them back into the doctors office, and in turn, they would just toss them out. Well this guy found a market for selling them on ebay. I drove over and picked it up and the guy actually gave me another free of charge. I put them on, and one felt OK, and the other felt really tight, but hey, it was free of charge for the 2nd one. Well, I got home, and the next day put them on to see how they felt on the bike. They were sooo Uncomfortable, within 10 minutes I had the strap hinges digging a hole in my leg and bruising the hell out of my thigh. My leg actually started cramping, and it just wasnt worth it. It was obvious that since these were custom made for someone else, they just werent for me. I turned around and sold them off ebay...

Moral of the story...I tried taking the cheap way out and getting custom $1200 braces for a deal, and it didnt pay off. Even if you find custom knee braces on Ebay, and the measurements are the same, the brace was made custom for someone else, dont waste your money or time. Unless you can get a script from an Ortho Doc for a set of custom ones and your insurance co will pay for them, you cant go wrong with Asterisk's. Everyone I have talked to loves them.

As far as the EVS Webb, I have heard a few bad things about the carbon fiber cuffs and cracking. I have a buddy who is a Vet rider and he has cracked 2 EVS Webb braces, and he has faught with EVS to get them fixed, and doesnt care to ever use them again. Granted, they are designed to break rather than your femur, but the service from them doesnt compare to Asterisk.

Sometimes you can find GOOD deal on ebay for a set of Asterisk, and even if they are old, you can have them refurb'ed by Asterisk for about 150 bucks a pair....

As much as I would love to have a pair of CTI2's, I havent been able to get a doc to write a script for them, if you can, and have it covered by your insurance, then you cant go wrong with CTI's...

Just my .02 cents

At the beginning of your story you said to never buy knee braces off of ebay, at the end of the second paragraph you stated that you sold them on ebay?????

I am cheep I bought the EVS RS7's great price great Brace IMO

Some dont like them, they are a tad heavy and bulky but Honestky you never even feel them when riding/

I have bailed hard a few times with them, and I have the worst set of knees around years of riding. Befor I got them my knees would be swollen for days after words, now I get off the bike and I am ready to go again the next day/

If you are on a budget the RZ7 are a great buy, if not then forget my review ??

I am cheep I bought the EVS RS7's great price great Brace IMO

Some dont like them, they are a tad heavy and bulky but Honestky you never even feel them when riding/

I have bailed hard a few times with them, and I have the worst set of knees around years of riding. Befor I got them my knees would be swollen for days after words, now I get off the bike and I am ready to go again the next day/

If you are on a budget the RZ7 are a great buy, if not then forget my review ??

I had a different experience with the RS7. It was so big I could barely get my pants over it, and it may have been partly because of that, but I found it restricted my freedom of movement quite noticeably and was really not comfortable at all. In a couple of falls with the RS7 on, my bad knee got tweaked; not enough to re-injure it, but enough to give me a few days pain. That's never happened with the Asterisk.

If you decide to look at the RS7, take your riding pants with you to try them on. BTW, I haven't seen one in person, but the EVS Vision looks just like the RS7 with new colors, so look over what you buy carefully.

At the beginning of your story you said to never buy knee braces off of ebay, at the end of the second paragraph you stated that you sold them on ebay?????

Crazy,

YEP, you are correct!!! When it comes to motorcross and knee braces, trying to find a deal on good braces that were custom made for someone else, and trying to use them for yourself, it will be very hard to find someone who has the exact same knee contour, bend, and shape in a custom. And Yes, I sold the ones I had on Ebay, hopefully to someone who will not be using them for motorcross...LOL If I needed them for support on an everyday basis, they would have done the job, but supporting my knee in a comfortable manor while riding MX, they didnt......

Hard to place a value on your knees. A simple ACL stretch can cost around $1500+ at the emergency room.

CTi's are for those who already have damage and can use insurance for the purchase. The alternative before damage is the Asterisk's. Made by the same folks.

No better customer service either! ?

I just bought the Asterisk brand and wasn't too impressed with them first time out but after that first ride with them on and then taking them off I could really feal the difference. Of coarse I don't have anything else to compare them to.

Ya know I think there is a different knee brace thread in every forum. ?

CTI on my left, fully reconstructed knee. Just got an EVS Web for my good knee and have had some fitting issues, haven't ridden with it yet, but I am impressed with the overall quality and it's construction. ?

I'll report after further testing. ?

Ya know I think there is a different knee brace thread in every forum. ?

CTI on my left, fully reconstructed knee. Just got an EVS Web for my good knee and have had some fitting issues, haven't ridden with it yet, but I am impressed with the overall quality and it's construction. ?

I'll report after further testing. ?

I just bought a EVS Web, I had the same fitting issues here. The chart showed I needed a large. Once I tried it on I realized the frame was to long for my leg. I ended up with a medium and will be contacting EVS for some longer thigh straps. I used it this weekend and was very happy with how comfortable it was, other than how tight the straps were.

What ever you do, don't buy a Townsend brace they ruin your gear and the knee cup will cut you during a crash.