Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hd_hubub

Adjusting Rear Sag

4 posts in this topic

I've gotten some great advise here & am hoping for some help with adjusting the rear sag on BRP. Took my measurement & am ready to go, but I can't get my hands to the lock or adjustment nut for the life of me. :cry:

Looks like I'll need to take the airbox off at a minimum. Service manual makes it sound like I need to take the subframe off.

There's got to be an easier way. Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated.

Get a long punch that has a nice squared end and place it appropriately on the lock ring and then tap it with a hammer to loosen it. You can also use a large screwdriver in place of a punch. Once you loosen it, use your hands to twist the spring and the adjustment ring will turn with the spring since it's under tension. You do not need to remove the subframe to do this.

The first time you remove the subframe and other things it may seem a bit time consuming, but once you've done it a few times, you'll find that you can tear this bike down pretty darn quickly (seat, tank, subframe, shock, forks, etc). It only takes ~10 minutes to remove the seat, tank, subframe, rear exhaust , rear brake resevior, disconnect the wiring, etc.

On the kick starter side of the bike you can see the spanner nuts on the shock. Use a center punch or old screw driver, get the angle right and tap them lose. Be careful to not hit the threads on the shock or punch a hole in the air box.

Adjusted mine yeasterday again using this method