18" rear wheel for 87 xr600

hi i have got a 1987 xr600 and am having trouble finding good tyres for it does anybody know if i can put a 18" rear wheel of a 88 bike in ?

88 wheel should fit just fine.

jeff111...The problem with putting an 18" wheel in place of a 17" wheels is there isn't enough room. The swing arm is too short. You would have to have the swing arm for an 18" tire...

Forget about what I said above...Seems I am ignorant when it comes to 88 model swingarms.

jeff111...The problem with putting an 18" wheel in place of a 17" wheels is there isn't enough room. The swing arm is too short. You would have to have the swing arm for an 18" tire...
I guess a paddle tire is out of the question then! Did Honda change the swing arm from '87 to '88, no. But the stock chain length for a '88 is 2 links longer.

The chain is 2 links longer because the stock rear sprocket went from 48 to 50 teeth from 1988-1990. It then went back to 48 teeth for the duration.

but they did change the swingarm in '91.

I swapped my original 17" wheel for an 18" wheel without any fitment issues. I put a paddle on with the original length chain and it fit, but rubbed slightly.

Yes the swingarm changed in '91 but not due to having a 18" tire, which Honda first installed in '88.

Yes the swingarm changed in '91 but not due to having a 18" tire, which Honda first installed in '88.
Duh!:cry: :cry: :cry: